Author Topic: HMS GURKHA Build  (Read 17498 times)

Offline StuartMH

• Petty Officer
HMS GURKHA Build
« on: 23 November 2018, 16:39:13 »
Hi there, my name is Stuart and I am new here.  The title might confuse so let me explain. My ZULU kit arrived the other day and I hope, at the end of the build to have converted her into GURKHA, but I have been away from model building coming on 30 years so I have some questions if you don't mind.

I have read Joe's thread on his Zulu build, so during the Hull Preparation I spotted some things.

I have the concave hull bottom and will probably go with gluing wood to the bottom. I am assuming the epoxy used had a long cure time to allow time to get things set up before it set. Any offers on which type to use, I can find lots of quick set types but wonder if I can work that fast.  That said if I tried the Heat processes mentioned in the article would I still need to glue something to the bottom?

Also found was the mould marks for the bilge keels, the photos on the CD that came with the kit show hulls with and without and nothing in the instructions mentions them, so anyone got thoughts on them?  The photos show a complete lack of sonar so I assume that mould mark is just sanded out?

There are a couple of questions on the Rudders. The real thing had 2, the model has 1, from a model point of view would fitting 2 cause problems of any sort?

The instructions say to drill a hole 45mm from the stern but the mould mark is 85mm from the stern.  Again, does it matter? Any thoughts.

Offline mikearace

• Captain
Re: HMS GURKHA Build
« Reply #1 on: 24 November 2018, 14:52:21 »
Hi Stuart.

For epoxy there are many different makes from commercial well known brands to generic cheap stuff.  Personally I go for the better known ones as in my experience these are longer term better solutions - Devcon is my choice but Gorilla also do one.  I opt for the side by side tubes that are easier to squeeze the right amounts of two part.  There are different setting/working time formula's - for example 5 minutes working time 30 minutes setting or 30 second setting etc.  Personally I go for longer working time just in case I need to adjust things.

As to rudders, using two won't be a problem but I'd discard the white metal one and make two that are identical in size and weight so there isn't any bias on rudder action.  I did build Mohawk about 16 year ago and from memory the rudder marking was also out.  85mm seems a long way back from the stern.  45 mm would seem right.

As to sonar I don't recall any sonar marks and never fitted one.  I did fit one to a type 12 I built HMS Yarmouth, and that hull - not Deans- had no hull markings at all but I went for a lot of underwater detail on that, stabilisers, etch brass water and pump filter intakes etc etc.

Trust that's some help.

Offline StuartMH

• Petty Officer
« Reply #2 on: 26 November 2018, 18:35:13 »
Hi there, thanks for the reply.

I think I have the glue sorted, but I had an accident with one of the weights.  My feet have not yet got the courage to try again.

I have decided to go with 2 rudders, have roughed them up today. They and the tiller arms will fit under the well I have yet to cut in the stern to house the aft sonar.

Bilge keels and sonar housings will be worked out when I am further on with the hull. Perhaps yes, perhaps no.

Now I have started building again I am feeling the lack of recent practice, so back to the instructions and drawings.

Stuart

Offline StuartMH

• Petty Officer
« Reply #3 on: 27 November 2018, 15:01:14 »
OK my inexperience is showing through.    Having problems getting enough weight to flatten the middle of the hull, might be catching on the sides but I can't take any more  off the sides or I will just have a strip down the middle.  Will go and think some more on this. ::DD

Offline StuartMH

• Petty Officer
« Reply #4 on: 29 November 2018, 14:04:56 »
Moving on, so long as the hull stays flat when I remove the weights I will be OK.  Leading to the next question, what colour to paint the rudders ?  I feel they should be red with the hull bottom but the drawings show them in the black boot top line, any opinions??

Offline mikearace

• Captain
« Reply #5 on: 29 November 2018, 14:26:03 »
I've always done mine Hull red oxide.

Offline colin

• Building HMS Enchantress
  • Administrator
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: 29 November 2018, 15:54:53 »
I always use Humbrol matt 73  ...  Which is a deep wine red..

Offline StuartMH

• Petty Officer
« Reply #7 on: 04 December 2018, 15:36:14 »
 Hi there, this is harder than I thought it would be.  I have relearned the saying “its easy to take more off but harder to put it back on”.  Got a bit careless sanding down to the deck level, gone a bit low in places so now I am nervous about bringing down the high points.

Question: I assume you can measure directly from the drawings, eg for the hull width at deck level. Also the hight of deck level, because when I measure the hull against the drawing the front of the bow  is 6mm  lower than the drawing.  Making the Foc'sle look a bit flat.  Have I messed up or have I missed something ?  I sanded to what I thought was the marked line.

Thanks for the suggestions on paint, however using the Humbrol paint numbers in the instructions it gives the following:

Foc'sle  73  Wine
Weather Decks  76  Uniform green
Sides  128  US Compass Grey
Hull  133 Brown

Had the suggestion of using 73 for the Hull.
As I don't have any of them to try a patch test, anyone care to say whether the rest will look right ?.

Offline mikearace

• Captain
« Reply #8 on: 04 December 2018, 18:12:39 »
Id definitely prefer, if it was me, humbrol 73.  Same with foredecks and I'd go with 76 weather deck. However I have just used Grey Primer spray for main hull to get a quicker more even paint job in the past - not accurate but passable.

As to plans yes they normally are accurate for measuring against.  If you look for radio  Joe's HMS Bramble build blog from a few years back on the forum he gives his tips for measuring hull and deck against the plans.  Might be helpful to read that and see if it's of use.  Well I think it was in his Bramble build as far as my memory goes!!!

Offline StuartMH

• Petty Officer
« Reply #9 on: 12 December 2018, 21:09:41 »
Thanks for the info on the paint, I am however not quite that far on with the build.  Got a bit ahead of myself.

Still working on the hull, quite a bit to re-learn to do about building. 

So if I go for bilge keels, should I make then small and in keeping or big and functional ?

Will need to decide soon, going for the sonar well on the stern means I need to get the rudders in and painted so I can get the deck on.

Offline mikearace

• Captain
« Reply #10 on: 12 December 2018, 22:16:34 »
Personally, for what it's worth, if it was me I'd go small to scale.  The 1/96th type 81 hull is a little beamier and more stable sailing than some of the more slender 1/96th destroyer/frigate models.  I never had any issues with stability with mine when sailing, even tight fast turns she kept stable. My D class destroyer, redone as an I class was a little sensitive. 

Offline StuartMH

• Petty Officer
« Reply #11 on: 19 December 2018, 21:16:24 »
Hi there, I am looking for some after the event information.  I started making up some of the superstructure parts and I now find my hanger is 10mm short in hight. I am sure I cut to the black printed lines so is there something obvious I missed ????

Offline mikearace

• Captain
« Reply #12 on: 20 December 2018, 09:41:38 »
Stuart, is that 10mm short in height when set against the plan?  Or short in length against the plan?  Either way I'd go with the plan measurements and you should have enough 1mm plastic sheet to recut a new hangar to the plan size.  My own habit when building, before glueing is to offer up the parts to the plan to gauge the size is right before glueing.  And of course for parts of the superstructure that go over/around openings offer them to the opening to make sure of a snug fit before glueing together.  It's better to recut a part that's slightly out than waste time assembling.  Usually I've found that the vast majority of the printed parts are very accurate but I have experienced one or two that were not so accurate so it pays to check first.

Offline StuartMH

• Petty Officer
« Reply #13 on: 21 December 2018, 15:31:22 »
Hi there, thanks for the reply. It was short on hight, about the same hight as the mortar rooms, so perhaps not a full 10mm. A check showed the only structure out by any amount was the hanger.  A check of the drawing shows a rake on the main deck, low at the stern and rising slowly to the wardroom break so the front and back of the structures are all different height’s so more work on the hull and deck to get something to measure against.

I need to thing more of scratch building from a kit than just building a kit.

Offline mikearace

• Captain
« Reply #14 on: 21 December 2018, 16:19:41 »
Apologies if I get this wrong or tell you what you know as I'm speaking from memory.  As far as I recall the 81s had a low slow downward rake from the midships/focsle break so the bases of all the superstructure would not be straight but slightly angled to compensate.  And the hangar height is a bit higher above the limbo handling rooms. Might be best to redo the hangar but with extra height at the sides then fettle to the right height/angle once the deck is in place?