Author Topic: M.V. Velarde build  (Read 42599 times)

Offline swiftdoc

• Captain
M.V. Velarde build
« on: 01 January 2016, 12:06:04 »
Happy new year to all of you!!!!

I have begun my Velarde build after Christmas. The quality of the hull is superb with lots of details moulded into the sides.

The motor is a Bühler 12 Volts (low revs, high torque). I will use a 3s lipo battery as I do with my Muirneag. Propshaft and prop are Raboesch parts. The rudder is a scratch build. I replaced the rudder foot as well by a brass part as I found that more stable than the white metal parts.

Offline swiftdoc

• Captain
Re: M.V. Velarde build
« Reply #1 on: 01 January 2016, 12:11:14 »
The bilge keels are made from two styrene halves with brass pins inserted. The pins are glued with epoxy at the inside of the hull to make it waterproof.

My new sanding tool was a great help sanding the hull edges. It works perfectly with wood and glass fibre but not with styrene (melts suddenly).

Offline karlgalster

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: 01 January 2016, 18:43:21 »
Hi Swiftdoc.
This should make a really nice model. As a boy I remember seeing the Velarde off Southend Pier in the Thames many many years ago. Beautiful little ship. You are making a good start. By the way what is that tool you have in your last photo?
Robin

Offline swiftdoc

• Captain
« Reply #3 on: 01 January 2016, 20:16:08 »
Hi Robin,

the tool is made by Proxxon (see the following link):

http://www.proxxon.com/de/micromot/28536.php?list

It is fine for sanding edges, etc. but not for finishing purposes.

Interesting that you saw the real Velarde. I like the lines of that ship, especially at the bow. Unfortunately you find only few pics of her on the internet.

Regards

Arno

Offline radio joe

• JOE
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: 01 January 2016, 20:24:12 »
Hi Arno, happy new year to you, good to see another build from the Arno Dockyard, I like the Velarde with her lovely traditional hull shape, I will be following the build.  ^^^

Offline karlgalster

• Captain
« Reply #5 on: 03 January 2016, 13:12:15 »
Hi Arno
Thanks for the Proxxon information. I already have a Proxxon mini drill and vice which are of very good quality. I might be tempted by the sander :)

Presumably you have seen the photoship web site three photos of Velarde

http://www.photoship.co.uk/JAlbum%20Ships/Old%20Ships%20V/index3.html

Robin

Offline swiftdoc

• Captain
« Reply #6 on: 03 January 2016, 14:00:52 »
Hi Robin,

I have some Proxxon tools as well (a mini drill and a bigger sander). For modelling they are fine.

Thanks for the link with photos of the Velarde. They will be of great help. You never can have enough of pics for a build, I suppose. So far I had only found the following:

http://www.shipspotting.com/gallery/photo.php?lid=1403418

http://7seasvessels.com/category/cargo-vessels-over-4000-tdw/cargo-vessels-over-4000-tdw-v/page/2/

Regards

Arno

Offline Dennis

• Captain
« Reply #7 on: 04 January 2016, 00:16:15 »
Hey Arno, happy new year to you. Great to see another build from you. Looks like its coming along nicely. You always do some amazing building. Look forward to following this build. ^^^ ^^^

Offline swiftdoc

• Captain
« Reply #8 on: 09 January 2016, 19:08:42 »
Thanks a lot for your kind comments. Today I have finished the deck supports. I decided to add some ramin supports in the "old fashioned" way were the three hatches will be. I felt this adds a lot of extra strength to the hull and deck (I always tend to building "for eternity" ;D). At the sides I used the styrene supports that come with the kit. The wooden supports were made waterproof by applying aliphatic resin with a brush.

The styrene tubes will carry the anchor chains later.

I glued the deck with cyano glue (thick type). Some photos will follow when the sides of the hatches have been glued to their supports. :)

Offline swiftdoc

• Captain
« Reply #9 on: 23 January 2016, 14:38:45 »
The hull is nearly finished now. The support stanchions at the inside of the bulwarks and the lines at the hatches were made from 1 mm micro strip. The front hatch has to be bent to follow the deck line. You have to be very careful here - my first attempt made one side of the hatch crack. But I could repair it applying plastic glue and car filler :)

Offline colin

• Building HMS Enchantress
  • Administrator
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: 24 January 2016, 07:56:56 »
looking very pretty  ^^^

Offline swiftdoc

• Captain
« Reply #11 on: 31 January 2016, 10:53:53 »
I have started to build the superstructure which is a quite complex build compared to other kits. It is only a trial fit. Now I have to wait until the joints have set. Then the rounded front panel will be glued to the now open front and everything will begin to take shape. I hope to be able to do so next weekend ::DD

Offline radio joe

• JOE
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: 01 February 2016, 12:23:17 »
Nice going Arno, you can already see her classic lines taking shape. :) ^^^

Offline karlgalster

• Captain
« Reply #13 on: 01 February 2016, 18:43:25 »
Very nice construction Arno.
Robin