Author Topic: My build of HMS Solebay.  (Read 210465 times)

Offline radio joe

• JOE
  • Admiral
Re: My build of HMS Solebay.
« Reply #255 on: 25 August 2013, 23:15:11 »
Nice one Paul,  It looks like our Solebays performances seem to be very close, turning, lean out  etc. well done mate.  Joe.

Offline paul swainson

• Admiral
« Reply #256 on: 26 August 2013, 10:02:50 »
Well gents thanks for all your kind words.  I am please with her but just one or two small points I noticed with her was that she was light at the stern and not fully in the water.  Also the water line is not just write, need to raise the black line a little higher (maybe Joe can give me a measurement of his at the bow midsection and stern for me to compare laying the boat on a flat table top?)  I will find some weight for the stern then try her again.

The next project I think will be the Stolaf as a short term model but I am seriously looking at doing the Aircraft carrier HMS Illustrious (87) Lusy from the period 1940 to 1950.  Deans have a Hull which could be used but is not accurate below the water line, and in some places the port holes etc.  Looking for plans just now as I want to do a semi kit this time and use it as a competition model if that sound daft I hope not.

You must look at your plug ins on your browser as the video should work OK.
« Last Edit: 27 August 2013, 10:16:15 by paul swainson »

Offline cabin boy

• Warrant Officer
  • Retired 67 years
« Reply #257 on: 27 August 2013, 08:43:18 »
HI Paul been away so just seen flicker and the amazing sea trials, looks great well done. All the sweat, frustration all gone, worth every moment. The challenge now the success Clive

Offline radio joe

• JOE
  • Admiral
« Reply #258 on: 27 August 2013, 09:55:54 »
Hi Paul,
Now you mentioned the water line I had another look at her on the water and yes I would agree with you she is quite high this would tend to make her a little unstable, I went by the plan for the boot topping and also looked at several photos of the battles and they all sat quite low in the water, so I based my boot top on them , and I was pleased with the result as she is very stable, here are the measurements you asked about I hope they help,
And no it doesn't sound daft to build a competition model, you go for it, most people could not achieve what you already have. Joe

Offline cabin boy

• Warrant Officer
  • Retired 67 years
« Reply #259 on: 27 August 2013, 16:56:15 »
HiPaul, Mine almost identical to Joe and Solebay is stable even on sharp turns. My readings as Joe from deck Stern 26, Midships 26, and bow 73. Regards Clive

Offline paul swainson

• Admiral
« Reply #260 on: 27 August 2013, 22:56:42 »
Thanks guys, I will compare the figures on Thursday when I finish work and see what I have to do.   I am waiting on a new 0.5 needle and jet for my airbrush, so will get to use it then if it arrives on time.

Offline paul swainson

• Admiral
« Reply #261 on: 03 September 2013, 23:19:15 »
Well the crew has been kitted out and ready for inspection before boarding HMS Solebay for duty.   Just waiting for the paint to dry on the base of each figure so that I can bond them to the deck.   Will post photos of the crew and then when on board.  Took a while to paint each one.

Paul.

The crew before they are varnished.
« Last Edit: 05 September 2013, 20:46:47 by paul swainson »