Author Topic: HMS Verulam  (Read 5827 times)

Offline colin

• Building HMS Enchantress
  • Administrator
  • Admiral
HMS Verulam
« on: 14 October 2020, 18:37:05 »
we have received some photos from Mr Lange from Germany of his version of HMS Verulam..

Offline Andreas Lange

• Able Seaman
Re: HMS Verulam
« Reply #1 on: 23 December 2020, 17:16:35 »
Dear Fellow Modelers, I would like to add some comments on my building experience of HMS Verulam. After the building steps I noticed a light distortion of the hull which didn't go away after fitting the main deck. Check the hull at once when tearing the package open and eager to start! The next task was to optimize the weight distribution of the model. The prototypes in all navies of the world suffered from top weight, just read the book "Halseys Typhoon". So I glued a flat lead plate into the bottom of the hull, visible in one the photos. Then I had to select electric motors and propellers. Rule of thumb: square root of the scale times the prototype revs of the propshaft should be right for the model. Then calculate +30% for idle speed of the motors at rated voltage, finished! That worked out quite well. Unfortunetely nearly all printed parts on the plastic sheets were wrong and had to be redrawn. Here I used the well known plans from Lambert (HMS Caesar) to get decent data, although even this sources contained errors. I recommend a well equipped library in the background for filling the gaps. I was very much satisfied with the castings and etched parts, although I had to fill in lots of rail stanchions from my workshop stock. In the end model performed perfectly with surpring stability and seakeeping. Concerning the difficulties in researching the prototype one should note that the term "wartime build emergency class" could be a warning to the modeler. If someone thinks you made an error: just tell him about some wartime conversion not well documented.

Offline Pegasus

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: 23 December 2020, 17:50:23 »
You are right in what you say no two ships of a class were alike. Four builders were involved in building these ships under wartime conditions Verulam and her sister Venus were built at Fairfields this yard still exists today and was involved in the the Queen Elizabeth Carriers and currently part of the Type 26 Frigate. I was planning on building this ship after I finish HMS Solebay, in my young days I worked beside a man who served on HMS Venus in the Eastern Fleet and was Involved in the last great classic destroyer action in WW2 the sinking of the Heavy Cruiser Haguro.

Offline Andreas Lange

• Able Seaman
« Reply #3 on: 23 December 2020, 19:09:57 »
How exciting to hear the destroyer action stories first hand. My late grandfather was an U-Boat captain in WW2 but he did before I was Born. He left the log books, photos etc. My interest always naval history but as a modeler I preferred surface ships especially the yacht like destroyers. Greetings from Germany, hope that Brexit will be cancelled altogether so I can buy kits from Deans in the future.

Offline Pegasus

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: 24 December 2020, 10:38:34 »
I believe a deal will be finalised shortly so buy Deans boats will not be a problem. You have built a good Verulam and like you I had one or two problems with the kit but I seen these of more of a challenge. This link will be of interest to you https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g74ma4vxYDA.
Good luck stay safe and have a good Christmas

Offline Pegasus

• Captain
« Reply #5 on: 24 December 2020, 15:00:44 »
I have two 1/35 scale Schnellboots (E Boats) a type 38 and type 100 I love sailing these boats they are sleek menacing and fast. They require a fairly large pond to get the best out them.

Offline Andreas Lange

• Able Seaman
« Reply #6 on: 25 December 2020, 16:40:53 »
The Verulam is also great running model, the lead bottom plate allows tight turns and although I chose the slowest rev Motors available it's quite fast. Concerning the difficulties I had with the kit I proposed to Deans to use paper card models as a basis for the polystyrene prints. I have enlarged the 1:250 prints to 1:87 and the precision was still excellent. But you are right: the difficulties are a challenge and a solvable one for someone with a well stocked library. Nevertheless the reviews in the internet are not all favourable....
Merry Christmas and it seems that there will be a trade agreement within reach

Offline Pegasus

• Captain
« Reply #7 on: 06 April 2021, 16:29:06 »
Andreas
What Weight of ballast did you use ?