Author Topic: HMS Bulldog - compact kit  (Read 26353 times)

Offline karlgalster

• Captain
HMS Bulldog - compact kit
« on: 09 November 2015, 17:00:20 »
Hi guys. Having spent some time on a semi scratch model I have decided to return to a kit build as a break from all the problems of scratch building and have chosen DM's compact kit of the RN survey vessel HMS Bulldog. This makes a nice small 24 inch by 5 inch model which looks pretty and with two rudders and two props will make a very good regatta steering boat as well as be suitable for SWA events. This model is primarily for my wife's use and in fact she is the financial input as well as some of the less demanding work on it (heaven help me!). Anyway we have not got to that point yet so no aggro yet ::DD

Bought the kit direct from Deans Marine and I won't bore you with what was missing in the kit or what was confusing in the information just to say having built an HMS Kelly and a Z37 kit there were no surprises.

I am used to DM's deck support methods used on my destroyers and have used those rather than the use of all plastic deck edge supports and deck beams and bulkheads used in the kit. I have used balsa wood strips for deck edge support and spruce 5mm x 5mm strips for deck beams. I have not used the vacuum formed styrene motor support bed or the vacuum formed battery tray. Instead I have used 1/8inch birch plywood for all the interior supports/boxes. I have used Devcon 2-ton epoxy for all the wood to fibre glass attachment and Davids Auto Epoxy for the fixing of the prop shafts and for coating the interior wood at low level to prevent things getting a bit soggy.

The main motors are two very nice low current low power 365 size from Electronize. Stall current at my chosen 7.2 volt supply is only about 1.5 amps per motor so the smallest Mtroniks Viper 10 Amp ESC is more than adequate and I can also get away with quite low current capacity wire.

The kit hull does not have openings for anchors and in fact no anchors are included. To accommodate dummy scratch built anchors I have cut out slots in the hull behind which I have made boxes of styrene bonded to the hull using P38 - seems very rugged. I have made rudders from brass sheet/brass to replace the white metal kit items. The kit items were quite good but I was a bit dubious of the metal used for the rudder shafts. It looks a bit like that used for my HMS Kelly rudder. This worked very well until I took it to sail at the Southend on Sea model boat lake. At that time this lake was notorious for the corrosive nature of its water and true enough about a week later my Kelly's rudder was rusted solid in its tube  >:D Hence its brass rudder shafts from now on.

Offline colin

• Building HMS Enchantress
  • Administrator
  • Admiral
Re: HMS Bulldog - compact kit
« Reply #1 on: 10 November 2015, 09:25:02 »
Hi Robin, nice to see you back here with a Build..
hope you wife enjoys the model and driving it..

Offline karlgalster

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: 10 November 2015, 19:19:43 »
Hi Colin. I am hoping she will. She has been using my old Conserver ( from a company that cannot be named ) for some years but the smaller HMS Bulldog will be a lot easier to handle especially going astern in windy conditions  ^^^
Robin

Offline colin

• Administrator
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: 11 November 2015, 09:42:54 »
i have a Conserver and a Tsekoa II still in the Box waiting to be built..  8)

yes the Bulldog should be better with the twin props going Astern...
i probably would have Chosen a slightly larger ship though.. it is a pitty that Ron does not do the Bulldog in 1:48
there are a few of the Compact Class that would look superb in 1:48 scale..  ::DD

Offline karlgalster

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: 11 November 2015, 19:15:59 »
Hi Colin. That is a bit of a coincidence as I also have a Tsekoa II!! Built it some years ago in Canadian Coast Guard colours rather than the specified colours - looks good. As I said this one is the wife so the size is important :grin1: Around our steering course HMS Bulldog will have an edge. I am assuming not too much of an edge as at the moment I tend to do better.

I have been doing the front of the wheel house today - very tricky as the 5 windows are on a curved panel which also leans significantly forward and the panel below the windows leans the other way.

Offline karlgalster

• Captain
« Reply #5 on: 14 November 2015, 13:20:40 »
View of the electrical installation. I am using a "poor man's mixer" for the first time. Two micro switches are operated by the steering servo. The two motor drive circuits include the micro switches such that when turning near maximum helm the "inside" motor drive is interrupted. The HMS Bulldog drive system is particularly suitable for this as the drive motor current has a maximum of about 1.5 amps so that the relatively low current capacity of the small micro switches will be adequate. Not sure how effective this arrangement will be in practice but I have seen boats built by Paul Freshney with this system and it works quite well. Time will tell for the Bulldog.

Offline karlgalster

• Captain
« Reply #6 on: 14 November 2015, 13:21:44 »
By the way how do I get these photos to be larger than thumb nails?
Robin

Offline colin

• Administrator
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: 16 November 2015, 06:02:49 »
By the way how do I get these photos to be larger than thumb nails?
Robin
Hi Robin,
the size of your photos are 480x320 and round about 60 kB if you click on the thumb nails they will enlarge if you have not shrunk them that far.. there are a few ways you can keep you photos at a reasonable size 800x600 but reduce the Kb size..
http://www.deansmarine.co.uk/index.php?topic=587.0
http://www.deansmarine.co.uk/index.php?topic=241.0
hope this helps

Offline karlgalster

• Captain
« Reply #8 on: 16 November 2015, 19:12:21 »
Thanks Colin - I will try this.

Offline karlgalster

• Captain
« Reply #9 on: 16 November 2015, 19:20:00 »
Something is still not working right. I have re-sized the picture to a larger size but as displayed on the forum they are still thumbnails unless you click on them.

Offline colin

• Administrator
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: 17 November 2015, 05:30:12 »
Correct... as i have said... ""thumb nails until you click on them""..!!
if you would like to have them at the original size all the time...
then you would have to host your photos some were else and then use the "Image link" to include them in your post..

Offline karlgalster

• Captain
« Reply #11 on: 17 November 2015, 18:40:29 »
Ok Colin, I will leave it as it is for now.

Offline karlgalster

• Captain
« Reply #12 on: 21 November 2015, 12:56:34 »
Deck is now down and seems nice and stable. HMS Bulldog has a lot of deck planking and the kit has some vinyl sheet planking which looks good but I am going to plank with lime strips 0.5mm x 2mm - more of this later.

Offline karlgalster

• Captain
« Reply #13 on: 21 November 2015, 13:01:55 »
Deckhouses - reasonably straightforward apart from the front of the Bridge/wheelhouse which as well as being curved in plan view also slopes from the vertical with the wheelhouse windows pointing downwards for a view of the foredeck.

Offline karlgalster

• Captain
« Reply #14 on: 21 November 2015, 13:07:25 »
The funnel. It uses the kit vacuum moulded parts for the main body of the funnel plus top and bottom plates and a carved top from 5mm limewood as the kit funnel top was a bit iffy. Air inlet slots filed into the front - a bit debatable if this has improved the look over the alternative of just painted slots - can always fill them later if required.  ^^^
Final shot is of all parts together but nothing primed.
Robin