Author Topic: Maersk Anglia  (Read 136294 times)

Offline Dennis

• Captain
Re: Maersk Anglia
« Reply #30 on: 14 March 2013, 00:11:15 »
Hey Paul, I use an iwata airbrush dual action with a trigger lock on the back of the gun. It allows me to set the gun up for a certain amount of paint everytime. As for the paint last I remeber I reduced the humbrol acrylic by about 10 to 15%. It depends on how humid it is when I spray. Just remeber to clean out the gun after each time you spray. If you don't clean it inbetween coats the paint will seat up in the tip and clog the gun. I use mostly enamels on my boats. It tends to spray much easier and lays out better.

Offline Dennis

• Captain
« Reply #31 on: 13 August 2013, 15:36:54 »
Finally was able to get a little time to do so more on the Maersk. I detail the bow deck area adding the side supports and also added the front section to the bow. I added an extra strip on top of the wash board of the bow deck to make everything flush. I also had time to do a little detailing to the funnels, adding some trim to them. I notice from pics of the net that there where also some rails that went around the top edge of the funnels and decieded to add these as well.

Offline Dennis

• Captain
« Reply #32 on: 13 August 2013, 15:43:08 »
Here are a few more pics. Some are also of the rear platform for the stern. I used turned brass stanchions for the rails and photo etched the grid for the floor of the platform.

Offline Dennis

• Captain
« Reply #33 on: 13 August 2013, 15:45:24 »
The funnels with trim and micro strip rails

Offline radio joe

• JOE
  • Admiral
« Reply #34 on: 13 August 2013, 16:59:51 »
Hi Dennis,  You may not get a lot of time to work on her but wow when you do you sure make progress, and even at this stage you can tell she is going to be a credit to you.   
Joe.

Offline swiftdoc

• Captain
« Reply #35 on: 14 August 2013, 15:24:24 »
Hey Dennis,
I like the additional details. You surely will make a success out of it.
Kind regards Arno

Offline simon2302

• Lt-Commander
« Reply #36 on: 14 August 2013, 23:20:16 »
When you wire up the LEDs can you add some pics of the micro switches etc to give me an idea for my muirneag

Offline Dennis

• Captain
« Reply #37 on: 15 August 2013, 02:48:07 »
Thanks for the kind words. Hope to get a little more done before we get hit with another wave of work. Should start on the lighting soon and will post some pics of how I make them, wiring ,and so forth.

Offline paul swainson

• Admiral
« Reply #38 on: 16 August 2013, 12:08:09 »
She is looking good Dennis, lots of hard work has gone into this build so far, the quality of the finish is superber,  I will learn from this build. Paul ^^^ ^^^

Offline Dennis

• Captain
« Reply #39 on: 04 October 2013, 02:26:21 »
Hi all, started putting on the brass rail. For this ship I thought I would try out so turn brass stanchions. I used 11mm made for .45 wire. I used a slightly larger wire for the stanchions, it seem to look more to scale to me. In order to do that I had to drill out all the stanchions from a .047 to .5 using a #74 drill bit to get the solid brass wire to run through the holes. Must say it was a lot of drilling, so far to count some 500 plus holes. ::DD I think it was worth it in the end.

Offline Dennis

• Captain
« Reply #40 on: 04 October 2013, 02:32:44 »
Here are a few more pics of the rail. Almost have them all done only about 300 more holes to drill!!!!

Offline swiftdoc

• Captain
« Reply #41 on: 04 October 2013, 11:00:53 »
Hi Dennis, I like the details ^^^ 0.5mm brass wire is already fiddly, but with 0.3 mm I came to my limits (see my Muirneag thread). ::DD

Offline Dennis

• Captain
« Reply #42 on: 04 October 2013, 14:20:19 »
Fiddly pretty much says it. I,ll need a new pair of glasses by the time I'm done. lol I could not amagine using .03 wire. That's some tiny wire.

Offline colin

• Building HMS Enchantress
  • Administrator
  • Admiral
« Reply #43 on: 04 October 2013, 14:34:09 »
looking good Dennis,  ^^^   i recognise those stanchions from a distance.... RB fittings... expensive but well worth it, used them on my Inflexible plus all the handrails are 0.2mm

http://www.deansmarine.co.uk/shop/product_info.php/cPath/1_93/products_id/732

Offline Dennis

• Captain
« Reply #44 on: 04 October 2013, 14:45:15 »
Hey Colin, yeap you know your fittings. They are RB. And like you said even though they cost a little more they are worth it in the end. The quality of these stanchions are hard to beat. :)