Author Topic: M.V. Velarde build  (Read 42592 times)

Offline swiftdoc

• Captain
Re: M.V. Velarde build
« Reply #15 on: 07 February 2016, 14:58:13 »
I have completed the superstructure now. The Deans people have put a lot of brainpower into the construction of that one. Each of the three decks is a quite fragile construction. But when you glue them together the assembly gets very strong and stable in the end (a bit like a honeycomb construction with all those supports and frames inside). The kit is really fantastic. Now she looks like a ship :)

Offline radio joe

• JOE
  • Admiral
« Reply #16 on: 07 February 2016, 16:05:02 »
Yes I thought she was going to be a nice one, :) lovely work Arno.  ^^^

Offline karlgalster

• Captain
« Reply #17 on: 08 February 2016, 11:51:26 »
Agreed a beautiful job. Got the feeling this one is one of DM's better kits :)
Robin

Offline paul swainson

• Admiral
« Reply #18 on: 09 February 2016, 14:19:37 »
 ^^^ Nice work Arno, she is looking good. 

Offline Dennis

• Captain
« Reply #19 on: 09 February 2016, 15:48:38 »
Starting to look like  a ship indeed. Nice classic lines to her. Great job, well done Arno. ^^^ ^^^

Offline swiftdoc

• Captain
« Reply #20 on: 28 February 2016, 19:39:36 »
Thank you all for the kind comments. Here are some more pics of the progress made. I have made the cargo derricks from carbonium tube to reduce the weight. The jumbo derrick will be connected by a ball joint to its base so that it will be moveable.

The radar mast is made from carbonium tube as well. Inside the tube will be a shaft (brass rod 0,8 mm) which will be connected to the geared motor shown at the pic.

I used small smd LEDs for the lights - position lights are red and green ones. At first I tried to put them into the white metal lamps that come with the kit but that was impossible as they are too small. The LEDs in the lights of the Samson posts were drilled into the metal parts.

Offline swiftdoc

• Captain
« Reply #21 on: 06 March 2016, 19:05:34 »
The anchor winch is a fine white metal assembly which comes withe the kit ^^^
I decided to build a searchlight although I don't know if the Velarde had one. Neither the plan nor the pics of the original (which have a very poor resolution) show a searchlight. I like sailing my ships in the dark so it was a must have for me. I used a power LED (3 mm, sunny white light). After the painting job I will put a glaze lens in front of the LED. The pic does not show its power - it lights a distance of several metres.

Offline Dennis

• Captain
« Reply #22 on: 12 March 2016, 01:13:47 »
Hey Arno, your build is coming together, looks great. ^^^ Like the idea of the search light. I too like to run my boats at night, lights are a must. Check on a few of the ships from our files around that time period and some of them show having a search light, some mounted center of the superstructure and others off to the side. I would think the Velarde would have one, but like you said there are not any good photos of her.

Offline karlgalster

• Captain
« Reply #23 on: 12 March 2016, 12:21:05 »
This might be a "red herring" but there is a photo of a near sister Velazquez showing something looking like a search light port side top of the bipod mast. The link is for the web page showing a lot of ships with names "v.....". Scroll down for "Velasquez-3" (there is a typo on the web page as the name on the photo is actually "velazquez" (?)
In addition th ephoto "velarde -03" although from the starboard side has a hint of the same object on the port side of the bipod mast.
http://www.photoship.co.uk/JAlbum%20Ships/Old%20Ships%20V/index3.html
« Last Edit: 12 March 2016, 12:33:24 by karlgalster »

Offline swiftdoc

• Captain
« Reply #24 on: 12 March 2016, 13:18:34 »
Thanks for your support! @Robin: the kit provides a foghorn installed at the bipod mast. The photo of the Velazquez shows a searchlight at the bipod mast clearly. So the bipod mast would be the right place I think. But the problem with the model is that the bipod masts are made from resin and you cannot hide the leads inside. It would be easier to install the light at the top of the superstructure. I have not made up my mind yet.

Offline karlgalster

• Captain
« Reply #25 on: 12 March 2016, 13:30:09 »
I see your problem. If it was my model I would assume the ship has a search light but like you said mount it on the superstructure. Who's to know?  ;)
Robin

Offline swiftdoc

• Captain
« Reply #26 on: 12 March 2016, 19:15:09 »
I have made a decision and built a new searchlight that is mounted on the bipod mast. It makes more sense than mounting it on the superstructure where it produces shades from the masts and derricks I suppose that stand in the way at the Velarde. Without your link to the photos of the Velazquez I would not have done it that way, so thanks Robin ^^^ I used 0,1 mm lead and glued it to the underside of the ladder. The dark wire of the leds at the right are those of the deck lights. After painting the mast (brown) they will not be that prominent as they are now.

Offline karlgalster

• Captain
« Reply #27 on: 12 March 2016, 19:56:24 »
Only glad to help a little bit. The search light looks good on the bipod mast. I knew you would come up with a cunning plan. :)

Offline swiftdoc

• Captain
« Reply #28 on: 01 May 2016, 19:27:22 »
I have started to do some stanchions. The stanchions are photo-etched parts that come with the kit. I used 0.5 mm brass rod for them. Drilling holes of 0.7 mm diameter into the deck allows you to put in the stanchions with their pins so that they will not move during the assembly.

I fixed the rod with pieces of self adhesive tape and then glued the rod to the stanchions using cyano glue. Having made that with several stanchions the whole thing gets very stable. I will remove the assemblies and paint them separately with my airbrush.

Offline Jochen

• Petty Officer
« Reply #29 on: 02 May 2016, 13:02:35 »
Hello
the Velarde you build in this time is a very beautiful model.
I saw the kit in Dortmund an it´s my favourite model in the
next months.
I saw your pictures of the different building phases and I can only say
it´s top.
It will help me for the future when I get this kit.
I wish much success for the next steps and I'm glad to see
the next steps.
 ^^^ ^^^ ^^^Jochen