Author Topic: HMS Solebay build  (Read 94674 times)

Offline radio joe

• JOE
  • Admiral
Re: HMS Solebay build
« Reply #15 on: 16 January 2012, 11:05:53 »
Hi Tom
Humbrol and mantua range of acrylic paints are formulated for plastic kits including boats and is impervious to water once completely dry,and can be used with airbrushes when thinned with water and of course the cleaning of equipment is much easier,you can make washes with them for weathering etc. which you can wipe off with a damp cloth before it dries if you're not happy with the result,, check out www.cornwallmodelboats.co.uk they stock both, I have used these paints on various models including my scratch built pilot boat that is quite old now but still performs very well and have had no problems.
Joe

Offline Tommydean

• Lt-Commander
« Reply #16 on: 17 January 2012, 08:07:27 »
dident know Humbrol made acrylic's. the humbrol paint i have been using for the past forty od years was cut with enamel paint thinner thats why i like airbrushing it so much the acrylics i have found over here dont airbrush or brush very well.

Offline radio joe

• JOE
  • Admiral
« Reply #17 on: 20 January 2012, 18:57:28 »
Tackled the anchor hawsers today, a plastic drinking straw was just the job, and I'm quite happy with the result, also did a bit more to aft deck and drilled the portholes in the hull.
a very enjoyable build just hard enough to be challenging, 

Offline karlgalster

• Captain
« Reply #18 on: 21 January 2012, 11:02:26 »
Real hawse pipes - well done Joe - enhances the model no end. Anchors actually held in place by the anchor chains presumably. Excellent. ^^^
Robin

Offline radio joe

• JOE
  • Admiral
« Reply #19 on: 21 January 2012, 13:07:39 »
Thanks Robin.
yes anchors held in by the chain and maybe a spot of glue to be on the safe side not enough chain in the kit so I'll have to get some somewhere. Joe

Offline colin

• Building HMS Enchantress
  • Administrator
  • Admiral
« Reply #20 on: 21 January 2012, 14:09:44 »
have to agree with Robin..  ^^^

grand job your doing there Joe  :)

Offline Tommydean

• Lt-Commander
« Reply #21 on: 22 January 2012, 05:39:03 »
yha and the stearn work is very nice ^^^

Offline radio joe

• JOE
  • Admiral
« Reply #22 on: 23 January 2012, 19:33:55 »
Thanks guys, I primed the hull and decks yesterday and I'm leaving it to harden for a few days, so today I'm continuing with the bridge assembly.

Offline radio joe

• JOE
  • Admiral
« Reply #23 on: 27 January 2012, 17:51:49 »
Wind breaks were very fiddly but I didn't do too bad, quite satisfied with result, bridge is progressing quite well, I think I'll start the mid ships Assembly's next so I can bring them all on together.

Offline paul swainson

• Admiral
« Reply #24 on: 30 January 2012, 11:21:56 »
Hi, I am watching with intrest as I have just retired too from the (Army and Motor trade) too and have just ordered the same ship.  I was a Young boy in Malta when she was stationed  in Malta and saw her when she bent her nose!   I hope to start my built in the next few months and would gladly receive any build tips and advise on the build you may have.   I have built one other boat the 1/32 scale KD Perkasa by Precedent back in the 90's and had lots of fun then.  She had a single drive motor and is now under refit and having it removed and upgraded to two 600 motors and new deck /superstructure too.  so plenty to get on with.

Offline radio joe

• JOE
  • Admiral
« Reply #25 on: 30 January 2012, 19:01:08 »
Hi Paul
I absolutely love building this ship,I have seen and read a lot about HMS Solebay and this somehow adds enjoyment to the build, and Solebay was built the same year as I was born.
I'm sure you will also enjoy building this kit, If I had any advise it would be to check for any missing parts it does happen but Deans are great at replacing them, read the instructions thoroughly and  use them as a guide rather than a bible, this kit lends its self well to your own interpretation,I found the full size plans more help, also when you cut the parts from the plasticard cut them as large as you can and then trim to fit, If I had cut some of the parts to the line they would have been too small.
Paul I would be most interested to hear what you think about your kit when you get it.

I'm painting my hull now and leaving each section a couple of days to harden so I don't have any mishaps with the masking tape, and working on the sub Assembly's in between, the midships staag is almost done and I have made the engine room air intakes operational I know there is probably no need but I thought why not.
Joe

Offline colin

• Administrator
  • Admiral
« Reply #26 on: 31 January 2012, 06:08:47 »
with all these nice Builds of Warships, you chaps might get me to build one... at sometime...  ::DD  :o

Offline radio joe

• JOE
  • Admiral
« Reply #27 on: 31 January 2012, 08:56:39 »
Go on Colin build one, you know you want to.

Offline radio joe

• JOE
  • Admiral
« Reply #28 on: 02 February 2012, 00:03:35 »
When I looked at the funnel vacuforms I thought may be I'll shell out 9 pounds and get one from John Haynes, then I thought no I'll have a go and see what I can do with it, and with a bit of care it actualy makes quite a decent funnel.
She's starting to look like a warship.

Offline colin

• Administrator
  • Admiral
« Reply #29 on: 02 February 2012, 09:36:27 »
miracles can happen when a little time and patients are applied...  ^^^

you might be right Joe... i have a Pelorus Class on the drawing board, and the H.M.S. Enchantress would also be an option...    ::)  8)