Author Topic: Z37  (Read 92004 times)

Offline Belgium Crazy Team

• Lt-Commander
Re: Z37
« Reply #105 on: 01 March 2010, 06:23:32 »
I know that the allied ships carried infrared lights for communication between ships.
Maybe this is something similar?

Offline colin

• Building HMS Enchantress
  • Administrator
  • Admiral
« Reply #106 on: 14 March 2010, 17:08:04 »
my friend has been working hard on his double 3,7 cm Flak C 30

Offline karlgalster

• Captain
« Reply #107 on: 14 March 2010, 18:23:47 »
Excellent work. Two comments -
Looks as though he has not attempted to taper the barrels of the guns. Actual guns have a pronouced taper about 2 to 1 diameter difference between muzzle and where the barrels enter the breach block.
Did your friend deliberately omit the large exposed to view elevation sprocket wheel mounted between the guns concentric with the main elevation trunnion?
I guess a blank has been drawn on the light/bell objects on the. I will improvise something that looks similar.
Robin

Offline colin

• Administrator
  • Admiral
« Reply #108 on: 14 March 2010, 18:30:52 »
ref the lights, there still digging... but its looking as if the things that were on the funnels were some sort of lights...

the flak's are not finished yet... so i guess he might work on the barrels...

theses items and a lot of his work on the Z6 can be seen in Dortmund at the Intermodellbau..

Offline karlgalster

• Captain
« Reply #109 on: 24 May 2010, 12:32:09 »
Hi All
Having completed some more details on Z37 I have attempted to do some water level shots using my digital camera with a mirror attached. Quite difficult to use due to the inverse image and no attempt to do a moving boat shot - will take some practice to get the model both focused and within frame.

Offline Mark

• Captain
« Reply #110 on: 24 May 2010, 19:51:48 »
Hi Robin.

Looking good a bit more practice and you will soon be capturing her at speed.

Mark ^^^

Offline Tommydean

• Lt-Commander
« Reply #111 on: 25 May 2010, 07:04:33 »
Robin those pics are great. :)  that bow shot....... ^^^
   Tom

Offline colin

• Administrator
  • Admiral
« Reply #112 on: 25 May 2010, 17:49:59 »
the 3.75's are finished, and i do believe Mark had a good look at them while attending the Intermodellbau this year.

by the way Robin the Barrels are tapered, probably not that noticeable in this photographed position.

Offline karlgalster

• Captain
« Reply #113 on: 25 May 2010, 17:58:30 »
Colin - the 3.7cm AA looks very realistic congratulations to the builder.
Mark and Tommydean - Thanks guys. A photo low down with a nice bow wave would be a bit special but will take some doing. The mirror is OK for a static model but getting the focus right whilst panning after a moving object is going to take a lot of practice as you say Mark or a lot of luck!! I will have another go some time. Next I need a lot of thick black smoke out of at least one funnel..... ::DD
Robin

Offline hotjava

• Lt-Commander
  • I like to build things
« Reply #114 on: 26 May 2010, 05:49:43 »
Robin,

She's a beauty!

Oliver

Offline Mark

• Captain
« Reply #115 on: 26 May 2010, 09:26:18 »
Yes I had a very good look at these absolutely perfect miniature replica's and I still cannot work out how he has managed such detail.

Robin - Black Smoke - Don't go there or you will have a very realistic Black sooty looking model, remember what goes up usually comes down all over your model. Try burning some cotton wool soaked in Baby Oil, great effect!

Mark

Offline karlgalster

• Captain
« Reply #116 on: 26 May 2010, 15:17:55 »
Oliver - thanks for the comments. I have also discovered that Z37 is also a good regatta boat. A bit long so some obstacles can be a bit tricky, however it has two very good features: being narrow compared to a tug for instance it can get through narrow gaps and also being long it goes like an arrow - very true so no twitching about unlike my main steering regatta boat which has twin screws, a mixer and a bow thruster whcih can be a bit of a hand full at times.

Mark - thanks for the warning, I will probably leave the smoke alone as the hull has very little space for a smoke generator and I would need one with fan assistance as nothing worse than a few wisps of white smoke drifting from a warship's funnel although OK for a Clyde Puffer I suppose.

Robin 

Offline Tommydean

• Lt-Commander
« Reply #117 on: 27 May 2010, 07:15:45 »
so how does one get the smoke to look real when it comes out of the smoke stack?  every time i have seen smoke done it looks like the "cigarette in the ashtray" look if you know what i mean.  cotton wool soaked in baby oil??? interesting......any pics? is it black?  i was thinking of doing smoke on my HMS Javalin but dont think i can get a realistic looking smoke screen. would a fan inside the ship drafting to baffels in the stack give a more realistic look?
   Tom

Offline Mark

• Captain
« Reply #118 on: 27 May 2010, 07:38:41 »
Here is one way of getting smoke;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iAXpWRQQlCY

This is the smoke unit for the G3 that I am building, it's the biggest of it's kind in the world, the only draw back with these units is that they need 24V to run. I have one in my Dreadnought and it looks very realistic.

If you are looking to produce smoke screens then you are into playing with fire!

Mark

Offline karlgalster

• Captain
« Reply #119 on: 27 May 2010, 09:52:07 »
Mark, your smoke generator looks good (even if it white).The size and power requirements would not suit a 1/96 destroyer unfortunately. Nice little project for someone to produce a compact generator running on 7.2 volts producing a lot of smoke. ;D
Robin