Author Topic: HMS M18  (Read 20375 times)

Offline ship's doctor

• Lt-Commander
Re: HMS M18
« Reply #15 on: 06 January 2018, 18:00:48 »
Hi Robin,
I think it is an old myford 7 series - it's in my Grandad's workshop, he sadly died a few years ago but the family have kept it so I go home to use it. I'm sure my technique could be improved but I'm mostly going on what I remember him doing and also Brian King's book on workshop practice for ship modellers. For example I struggled to get the high shine finish on the brass which I suspect is due to going too fast or not having the tool properly sharpened.
It's a really useful tool to have access to though to up the level of the model - particularly as the armament is one of the things the eye is drawn to on any warship.

Offline ship's doctor

• Lt-Commander
« Reply #16 on: 27 March 2018, 21:10:52 »
Some photos of the finished HMS M18 -

Parts were primed, then airbrushed or brush painted in humbrol colours (for reference if interested - light grey 147 for upperworks, sea grey 27 for hull sides, dark grey 32 for deck, wine 73 for antifouling, german red brown 160 for covered decks. Details in various other humbrol colours).

Rigging with cotton thread (running) / black invisible filament thread (standing/ guardrails). Flags (reading M 1 8 ) were made from thin white paper, painted with artist's acrylics - folded over the rigging and PVA glued.  The stanchions are John Haynes etched.

The finished model was weathered with washes (rust colour/ black with a bit of green mixed in), and also some revell weathering powders (rust and sand) - the light sand dust is to give the impression that the ship has been operating in the gallipoli area for some time. 

The two figures are modified preiser 1/100 figures - naval officer and army liaison officer on shore bombardment!

Next step is sea trials! On bath testing she actually sits a bit low in the water (about 3-4mm) - so I would caution other on adding too much extra detail, particularly in metal - use resin/plastic where possible.

Hope this is of interest!

James 

Offline ship's doctor

• Lt-Commander
« Reply #17 on: 27 March 2018, 21:11:46 »
Second batch of close ups!

Offline karlgalster

• Captain
« Reply #18 on: 28 March 2018, 14:58:40 »
Very nice bit of model making.  :smiley1:
Down by 3-4 mm is  quite a lot. May I enquire what batteries you have used?
Robin

Offline ship's doctor

• Lt-Commander
« Reply #19 on: 28 March 2018, 16:08:47 »
Hi Robin
I've used a small lead acid battery - quick check on the kitchen scales shows 300g. A similar RC pack is only 120g! An order to component shop might be needed  :)
James

Offline karlgalster

• Captain
« Reply #20 on: 29 March 2018, 18:29:33 »
Good idea ^^^

Offline Troy Tempest

• Building HMS Zulu since 1987
  • Lt-Commander
« Reply #21 on: 31 March 2018, 13:05:47 »
Thats a lovely model, she looks superb.
Do post some pics of her sailing off you can
Well done

Offline ship's doctor

• Lt-Commander
« Reply #22 on: 02 April 2018, 16:29:52 »
Thank you!
The aim is to have her tested in good time to join the WW1 fleet at the Mayhem at Wicksteed - May bank holiday weekend

James