Author Topic: HMS Solebay build  (Read 94662 times)

Offline radio joe

• JOE
  • Admiral
HMS Solebay build
« on: 07 January 2012, 15:06:43 »
Hi and a happy new year to you all,
I started the build of my deans solebay Nov 2011, I've build many other r/c models,boats,planes,hellys etc. but have always fancied building a sizable warship that would take a considerable time to build, well I'm retired now so I thought now's the time, I had seen some of the Deans warships on other forums and thought what  authentic looking models they make.
I liked the looks of Cossack or Solebay, and was looking up the history of destroyers in general and HMS Solebay kept cropping up and this got me interested in her,When the kit arrived I found it quite impressive the hull in particular was light yet strong with the plating and other details, plus a LOT of parts and fittings it also looked quite a daunting task, well I'm about six weeks into the build now and finding it very enjoyable the fitting of the propshafts and running gear, r/c gear etc. was standard procedure for any model, but I had no experience with plastic sheet construction, but got the hang of it very quickly. I did find some printed sheet parts missing from the kit if this happens to you don't worry, Deans are a very obliging bunch and sent me the missing parts.
The build will take me a long time and I'll post photo updates as it progresses for anyone who may be interested

Offline colin

• Building HMS Enchantress
  • Administrator
  • Admiral
Re: HMS Solebay build
« Reply #1 on: 07 January 2012, 15:33:46 »
Hi Joe,
first of all welcome to the forum, and i hope you enjoy your Build.

as for taking ones time, i have just noticed its taken me the best part of three years to Build my HMS Inflexible, and it took round about 2 years to complete my Liz Terkol, the only one that i managed to build in less than a year was my wife's SS Furie

what am i trying to say, all good things takes time....  ^^^  ^^^  and yes of course please post your photo's as your build progresses.  :)  :)

« Last Edit: 08 January 2012, 15:29:30 by colin »

Offline radio joe

• JOE
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: 07 January 2012, 17:25:04 »
Thanks for the welcome Colin, yes I agree with you I was guessing at least a year of enjoyment, things like holidays,shopping etc. get in the way,  lol. you have some fine looking models there.

Offline karlgalster

• Captain
« Reply #3 on: 08 January 2012, 11:40:29 »
Hi Joe,
Glad you are enjoying your build. I only really had time to build RC boats when I took early retirement. My HMS Kelly took 500 hours and Z37 750 hours to build. I am of course not the fastest of builders ;D  Even a small plank on frame model I have just finished has taken 300 hours to complete. Great retirement hobby. :)

looking forward to your build log as you progress.
Robin

Offline radio joe

• JOE
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: 09 January 2012, 10:01:22 »
Hi Robin
Yes it's great to now have the time to build something slowly, when I was at work I tended to rush models a bit because I had limited time to build them,at that time I would not have attempted to build a model like Solebay, I have to be careful though as I lose all track of time when working on it and forget to do the things that she who is all powerful has asked me to do, LOL.

Offline radio joe

• JOE
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: 10 January 2012, 22:03:08 »
Aft deck and galley fitted, and started the superstructure modules,  I like the fact that nothing fits together like a jigsaw puzzle and you have to work each piece to make it fit and "look right" it is a real model makers kit,

Offline colin

• Administrator
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: 11 January 2012, 08:46:33 »
coming along grand  ^^^  ^^^

theres nothing like a bit of real modelmaking  :D  :D

Offline radio joe

• JOE
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: 14 January 2012, 18:46:30 »
Just an update, progressing slowly, fore deck fitted, break water and forward deck detail, bridge base module started

Offline Tommydean

• Lt-Commander
« Reply #8 on: 15 January 2012, 02:54:42 »
wow very nice job ^^^

Offline karlgalster

• Captain
« Reply #9 on: 15 January 2012, 10:07:44 »
Nice work Joe. I notice you have some fittings in place. Are they just placed temporarily for photos or do you intend painting them in situ?
Robin

Offline radio joe

• JOE
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: 15 January 2012, 11:17:23 »
Hi Robin
Yes the fittings are fixed I dicided rightly or wrongly to do this and spray primer coat, and hand paint the finishing coats and pick out the fittings etc. I'm not a great fan of spray painting and hope I can get a reasonable finish with a soft brush.
Joe

Offline karlgalster

• Captain
« Reply #11 on: 15 January 2012, 12:55:09 »
Hi Joe
Compleat opposite myself- everything that can be air-brushed is sprayed. Most fittings airbrushed off the model in vast batches. Reason - not good enough myself to get a good finish with hand brushing - only wish I could as it would save a lot of work. :-[   Only thing I hand brush are decks which have features too difficult to mask such as bulwark supports etc. I then use multiple layers of very thin paint.
Robin

Offline colin

• Administrator
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: 15 January 2012, 18:19:47 »
Doing a grand job there  ^^^

i used to do a bit of both, some parts sprayed and some parts with a brush....  ::DD

but now i tend to do a lot of Hand painting by brush, and then the finishing satin varnish coat gets sprayed, this way one looses all the brushing marks, and a protective coat  8)  8)
i do try and paint subassemblies and fittings before final assembly on the model.

my SS Furie and HMS Infelxible have been painted this way... as can be seen in there respective threads

Offline radio joe

• JOE
  • Admiral
« Reply #13 on: 15 January 2012, 19:17:40 »
Hi Colin
If your HMS Inflexable is mostly hand painted then that will do for me, ^^^ I thought I'd be better off doing something I'm comfortable with,I don't have an airbrush and I have found car sprays are inclined to be a bit heavy for scale models, so I'll try acrylic thinned so it wont dry to fast, I'll try on some scrap first.
Joe

Offline Tommydean

• Lt-Commander
« Reply #14 on: 16 January 2012, 02:21:24 »
how does the acrylic paint hold up to water environment?      a couple guys over here used some of the acrylics on there sub models and said they had to repaint due to the water having an adverse affect on the paint job. i would think you guys have some different paints to choose from over there. i found humbrol brushes on good but dont know if its a prefered paint buy you guys. I myself love the airbrush
and only use the brush when i have to.
  Tom