Author Topic: HMS Toutou  (Read 4853 times)

Offline colin

• Building HMS Enchantress
  • Administrator
  • Admiral
HMS Toutou
« on: 03 August 2019, 07:58:51 »
as most modelers i buy a kit so as to save time producing parts in scratch build..  but then again there is always the kit modifier.. which i guess i belong to.. and the instructions are not always followed by..
one skips from stage to stage while glue is drying which means that for some one reading the instruction and then following this build log could be slightly different..

so here goes..
preparing the hull marking all the holes that i would like and were i would like them, and the lines so as everything lines up with each other when installed, applying the deck beams
i have opted for twin rudder unlike the real ship that had only one rudder..
the parts for the propshafts "P" bracket i have made my self..

the start has been made.. hope you all enjoy.. any questions are welcome.. ^^^

Offline colin

• Administrator
  • Admiral
Re: HMS Toutou
« Reply #1 on: 03 August 2019, 08:05:24 »
the Cockpit and rear "well" can not really call them superstructures as they go under the deck line.. ::DD ;D
are built much in the same way.. its a case of getting your head around the numbers..
here is a row of photos that would help most modelers..

the rear and foredeck are quit straight forward..

Offline colin

• Administrator
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: 08 August 2019, 14:46:35 »
just to be on the safe side i added a bulkhead to take the strain of the reasonably long propshafts, and before the couplings were put in place a couple of brass tube Mockups were used to align the motors and motor bulkhead while the glue sets..
once every thing was happy and the glue had gone off, the brass tubes were removed and the couplings installed..
i have gone for a M-troniks 10 amp ESC, should be ample enough as the motors draw about 3 amps on full load…  free running or in water is about 0.5 - 1 amp

just a few bits here and there, then i can start painting the Hull..
some of the fitting have been built, and a few still need to be cleaned up..

slowly but surely..

Offline colin

• Administrator
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: 11 August 2019, 11:18:39 »
the 3 Pounder and the Maxim have been painted..
i am not really into grey ships, so that's why i have brought a bit of colour into this model…

on the Maxim i have added the handles, which were made out of a bit of brass tube, brass wire and a couple of rail stanchions

the Hull has been painted under the waterline..

and the decks have received there first coat of paint..

Offline colin

• Administrator
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: 16 August 2019, 07:54:25 »
I am In the process of painting the rest of the model..
I brush paint everything, and then once finished I coat everything with a satin varnish..  my supplier that I used to use has disappeared from the market.. so I am testing other varnishes to see what they look like, and also if they react with enamel paints..

The windscreen on the top of the cabin I have slightly altered, I made it out of "U" channel plastic , the inside mesurments are that of the windscreen glass, then on top a layer of slaters micro flat plastic.. this can be seen in photo 17 in the forground before it was glued to the cabin roof ...
I will take a close up photo once the model has been finished..

I would hope that I will have it finished for the deans open days..

Offline colin

• Administrator
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: 17 August 2019, 13:31:49 »
here is a close up of the front window frame…
you should be able to make out the "U" form plastic and the micro flat plastic to strengthen the joints and give it a little more profile..

the next photo show my Modell nearly complete, just missing the windows (clear plastic), portholes, and the black water line..
once the black water line is on, i can then give her a coat or few coats of clear satin varnish..