Author Topic: Suppliers of Ships Drawings/plans  (Read 13340 times)

Offline paul swainson

• Admiral
Suppliers of Ships Drawings/plans
« on: 14 November 2012, 13:55:37 »
Can any one point me to web site of company's who sale ship drawing/plans.   I have went to one Jacobin and they do not do the ship I am looking for.   The plans supplied with my dean marine kit is OK but does not go down to more detail so that I can use plans to my scale and can lay the superstructure against the plan and mark out doors vents etc.   I believe there is someone in Poland who does them as well as the NMM.

Offline ship's doctor

• Lt-Commander
Re: Suppliers of Ships Drawings/plans
« Reply #1 on: 14 November 2012, 17:48:24 »
Hi Paul,

Profile Morskie (Poland) do a large number of warship plans... I have their book for HMS Kent, which has been of some help with Suffolk. I'm also using the Norman Ough plans of HMS Dorsetshire, which are excellent, I think there are several other ships covered. These sometimes appear on eBay. Is there a particular ship you're interested in?

James

Offline paul swainson

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: 14 November 2012, 21:55:31 »
Hi James,  Yes I want to get hold of the full plans fro Battle class destroyer HMS Solbay.   I want to use the plans to match my supper structure and other deck items.  Will look at the the ones you listed.

Paul.

Offline minerva

• Captain
« Reply #3 on: 29 September 2014, 19:24:15 »
Rearding warship plans, I always purchase my plans from the National maritime museum at Greenwich.
Google them - they are very helpful)
They need the ship's name and year of building. They have all warships / classes plus many merchant ships.
Expensive but these are the plans that the builders used.

Offline Horatio123

• Lt-Commander
« Reply #4 on: 29 September 2014, 20:23:29 »
Paul .
   I have the David McGregor plans for HMS Cadiz that I modified for my HMS Agincourt , far more detail than the deans plan , I believe mcgregor plans are now held by the SS Great Britain trust .

Offline paul swainson

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: 30 September 2014, 14:01:46 »
I have now completed the Build of HMS Solebay and I did managed to speak and get copies of photos from people who sailed on her back in the 60's.  The link to my build photos is on the thread "My build of HMS Solebay".  Paul

Offline paul swainson

• Admiral
« Reply #6 on: 30 September 2014, 14:16:51 »
For my currant build I have the NMM plans for HMS Illustrious and am working on building my own hull for Deans Marine to make a accurate hull for this beauty of a ship. The ship lines need some work as they are based on the 1937 lines and the bow is not the same as the completed ship.  The museum in Barrow-in-furness  has some nice photos of her being built and launched.

Offline minerva

• Captain
« Reply #7 on: 30 September 2014, 19:15:17 »
I am thinking of doing something along the same lines for
 the Commando carriers of the 1960's Albion and Bulwark.
They were laid down as Centaur class hulls, like Hermes.
Although Hermes was much modified for fixed wing jets and side lift.
No one produces a 1/96 Centaur hull, so it looks like a project I
will list after my next four builds.

Offline minerva

• Captain
« Reply #8 on: 30 September 2014, 19:19:33 »
http://www.hnsa.org/doc/plans/castle.pdf
Incidently if anyone would like a free drawing of a castle class.
Try this link.
« Last Edit: 30 September 2014, 19:22:52 by minerva »

Offline Troy Tempest

• Building HMS Zulu since 1987
  • Lt-Commander
« Reply #9 on: 22 October 2014, 13:41:42 »
@Paul, I can second Minerva's recommendation for plans from the NMM they provided me with excellent 1/48 and 1/96 deck plans and a rather less useful faint 1/96 profile
They are light years ahead of the Deans Marine supplied ones and show superb detail

With regard to the bow of HMS Illustrious the round down at the bow was raised to the horizontal which extended the usable flight deck for deck parking requirements forward, this changed the shape and profile significantly, this was done in a reft in 1946, the flight deck changed aft as well.
two useful references are "Royal Navy Aircraft Carriers 1945-1990 by Leo Marriott" ISBN 0 71110 1561 9 (mine is ex libris)
and
"Aircraft Carriers of the Royal and Commonwealth Navies by Cmdr David Hobbs" ISBN 1 85367 252 1

Offline paul swainson

• Admiral
« Reply #10 on: 22 October 2014, 13:55:38 »
Hi Troy,  The plans sent to me by the NMM are of the ship lines as built in 1937, and the bow and stern flight deck views are what I am looking for as I am building her as she was before the 1st refit after the 1942 convoy run and damage she sustain.  The refits after 1942 are no use to me as they change her classic lines.  I will as my build post explain will make the hull from wood and plank and have a scale hull for this great ship.

I will look at for the books you mentioned.  I have the Rodgers Chesneau Aircraft Carriers of the world 1914 to present day. ISBN 1 860198759.
« Last Edit: 22 October 2014, 13:57:54 by paul swainson »

Offline Troy Tempest

• Building HMS Zulu since 1987
  • Lt-Commander
« Reply #11 on: 23 October 2014, 10:07:55 »
Hi Paul
Ive dug into my most detailed history of the RN Carriers;
"British Carrier Aviation - The evolution of the ships and their aircraft" by Norman Friedman ISBN 0 87021 054 8
On P147 he describes briefly the changes carried out in the Norfolk Navy Yard between the 12th of May and November 1941, unfortunately there are no illustrations
He also outlines the uncertainties that exist about  actual dimensions of Illustrious and other carriers of the time, he usefully cites the official publication "Particulars of HM Ships (CB 1815)"
A thought occurs to me that the Americans meticulously photographed work carried out to ships in their yards so perhaps a query to the National Museum of the US Navy in Washington DC might potentially be a useful starting point in tracking such photos down (assuming they exist)?
I hope this helps

Offline paul swainson

• Admiral
« Reply #12 on: 23 October 2014, 14:34:49 »
Hi Troy, Email sent requesting information on photos and off to the library to see if they have these books, once again thanks for your help it has been very useful.