Author Topic: Mouldeans HMS Polyphemus 1890 refit  (Read 6810 times)

Offline Ian Kennedy

• Petty Officer
Mouldeans HMS Polyphemus 1890 refit
« on: 25 February 2015, 21:34:14 »
Hi,

I thought it was about time, to start a bit of a build log of my own on going build of this model.

I originally bought the hull about 20 years ago, and it sat in the attic for the last 17 years!!
Countless other models have been built during this time. I have been researching and designing working feature parts, to complete as accurately as possible, the first Royal naval ship to incorporate fully operational submerged torpedo tubes.

I have chosen to model Polyphemus after her 1889/90 refit. The reasons for this are that, John Hollis made the original model, that the hull is molded from, and he built his model as originally commissioned, with the pepper pot type shielded Nordenfelt turrets.

My version was re armed with Hotchkiss 3 pdr qf guns, in place of the turrets. A galley structure ahead of the funnel uptake casing, and additional ventilation. There were further minor revisions to the on deck equipment.

The GRP hull is good, with full hull plate detail. After doing research, looking at the photographs of Polyphemus, she is butt plated above the water line. So some fairly major re working of the hull was required to correct this. Also the below water plate detail was a little on the heavy side, this has also been corrected. The stem/ram profile was also slightly out, so some careful reshaping was required.

In all it has taken about 70+ hours, to re model the basic hull structure.

About this time I decided to make the bow torpedo tube cap operational, along with the twin retractable steering bow rudders. These features along with the Attack ballast trim tank, have taken a while to make, but work without fault......up to now anyway!

More to follow.......but don't hold your breath!

Ian

Offline colin

• Building HMS Enchantress
  • Administrator
  • Admiral
Re: Mouldeans HMS Polyphemus 1890 refit
« Reply #1 on: 26 February 2015, 15:30:08 »
absolutely beautifully Ian..  ^^^
was fascinated with your work when you presented this model last September  ::DD

Offline Ian Kennedy

• Petty Officer
« Reply #2 on: 27 February 2015, 00:12:29 »
Hi Colin,

Thanks, I hope you are well?

Here are some more images, of the various intakes and outlets below the water line. The main attack trim ballast tank and pumps, and the beginnings of the super structure and flying decks.

All the decks are made from a composite of 1mm aluminium and 1/64th plywood, this is to prevent the decks from warping.

The flying decks are aluminium, screwed onto timber deck houses, and clad in lithographic plate. I have fitted all the support beams, and decorative moldings under, and around the flying deck sections......which was fun........not! ::DD

More later

Ian

Offline Mark

• Captain
« Reply #3 on: 02 March 2015, 08:24:53 »
Hi Ian,

How have you bonded the plywood and Aluminium composites together?

Regards

Mark

Offline Ian Kennedy

• Petty Officer
« Reply #4 on: 02 March 2015, 21:24:44 »
Hi Mark,

I used a product called supercrylic by deluxe materials. Expensive, but absolutely brilliant, bullet proof bonding.

I have used for years to do my hull plating, using lithographic plate.

You have to work very fast though, I mixed a fairly large quantity, and applied a thin layer, with a home made wooden roller, direct to both surfaces, put them face to face and placed under a sheet of 25 mm thick MDF as a weight.

All the above has to be done within 8 minutes, as the adhesive goes off, and starts gelling after that.
I did a few trial runs with the stuff first,gauging working times and quantities, before committing to the job. The test pieces just won't separate, the alloy bends or the thin plywood tears.......good stuff!

I have been faffing about making masters, molds and casting some of the cowl vents this weekend, also included the photo of the attack trim, ballast tank and the two diaphragm pumps, that I forgot to post last time! :-[

Regards

Ian

Offline Mark

• Captain
« Reply #5 on: 03 March 2015, 14:04:25 »
Thanks for that Ian,

I bought some of that last year, but have not got round to playing with it yet.

I 3D printed my cowls in resin, was a lot less troublesome  ;D

Mark

Offline Ian Kennedy

• Petty Officer
« Reply #6 on: 03 March 2015, 18:52:07 »
Hi Mark,

As you well know, I am a bit of a technophobe  :-[......but I do want to learn 3d properly, Your own 3d work is amazing. It sets new standards, in my humble opinion.
I still like the traditional, physical thing of trying to make bits. What I would love to be able to do, is art work for producing brass etch detail...but I don't have the time to learn it!!

Regards

Ian

Offline colin

• Building HMS Enchantress
  • Administrator
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: 04 March 2015, 08:40:42 »
Hi Ian
the art work for Brass etching is easy, could teach you in 15 mins, if you have Coral Draw  :-[ :o
the biggest problem is finding some one to do the actual etching, at a reasonable price..  >:D

and by the way, yes I am keeping fine, sometimes the memories come back and its not so easy...

Offline Ian Kennedy

• Petty Officer
« Reply #8 on: 04 March 2015, 19:27:26 »
Hi Colin,

I may hold you to that ^^^ If we get time, at this years open weekend!

So pleased you are coping alright, it's never easy mate.

Take care

Ian