Author Topic: HDMS Tordenskjold, alternative Type 14 frigate.  (Read 34842 times)

Offline NickD

• Warrant Officer
Hello to all Dean's Marines and ship modelling fans!
I want to present the model which I'm building now. It is strongly based on the HMS Hardy kit. The idea was to find how could be look an export modification of the Type 14 frigate with multi-function capabilities, without overloading a hull. After intense research I came to this design:

Initially it was planned to use British conversion of the US Mk.33 guns, as mounted on HMS Victorious, but unfortunately I can't find detailed plans, so I will use standard closed Mk.33 mount - it will fit well on Danish armament purchase logic too.
Most of the additional details are 3D printed.
The model will have working radar, navigation lights and some internal lightening.
This is the progress so far.

Plessey AWS-1 Radar printed. Model suffered an incident during travel, but new is underway.

This is the ASW mortar model for print. Printing is ready, model traveling to me now.

Radar test video:
https://www.facebook.com/TYPE14E.FRIGATE.MODEL/videos/992472060904772/

Engine and rudder test:
https://www.facebook.com/TYPE14E.FRIGATE.MODEL/videos/965008566984455/

Sound card test:
https://www.facebook.com/TYPE14E.FRIGATE.MODEL/videos/930069540478358/

Any suggestions and comments will be warmly accepted!
Have a nice day!
« Last Edit: 21 May 2018, 12:17:54 by NickD »

Offline karlgalster

• Captain
Re: HDMS Tordenskjold, alternative Type 14 frigate.
« Reply #1 on: 21 May 2018, 17:48:53 »
Hi. Nice post. :). Did you do the 3D items yourself? The radar for instance.
Robin

Offline NickD

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #2 on: 21 May 2018, 21:15:36 »
Hi, Robin!
Some of the details are done by me, some not. I've done the radar by myself, using all available photos, documentation and cosec2 antenna diagrams I found. Unfortunately there were no available blueprints, but i manage to do it without them with satisfactory accuracy.
ASW rocket launcher is done by me too, along with any other details - nosering tunnel, hawse pipes, anchors and wave breaker. I will receive the package next week and I will post photos then.
I also plan to make both new masts and torpedo reloading mechanisms, etc.
You can see most of the the models in 3D here:  https://www.shapeways.com/shops/nick-s-naval-models
The other models - gun, torpedo tubes and fire control radar were already done from someone else in the same site, so I only purchased them.

Best regards,
Nick

Offline NickD

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #3 on: 11 June 2018, 13:44:54 »
Some new details:

Bofors ASWRL:

Anchors:

Overview:

Offline hother

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #4 on: 14 June 2018, 22:44:35 »
Very nice built, and I would love to see the ship "Fitted" out.

But please observe, that there was never a HDMS Tordenskjold based on a Type 14 frigate.

But I am rather excited, as I over time has collected some more modern equipment (Radar, guns and brigdehouse), for my HMS Hardy model. And why is that? Well. I really liked that type of Frigates, and I really am sad, that nobody saved just one of the Type 14 Frigates. I had the chance sailing on HMS Pellew from Portsmouth to Bergen, when I was a cadet on the Danish sail training ship "Danmark". It was a lovely 2 week staying in the RN. Later I joined The Royal Danish Navy.

Offline NickD

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #5 on: 15 June 2018, 12:09:56 »
Thank You!
I think, the Type 14 frigates were amazing, but IMHO maybe underestimated. I like them very much, and this is the reason I choose Type 14 for base to my model.

Yes, the HDMS Tordenskjold is fictional model, but I tried to do a very careful and thorough research to make my project realistic as possible. I tried to took into account not only historic availability of the used systems, but political and economic factors, and of course (with some assumptions) ship structural integrity, load and internal space (for my regret, Vickers Mk6 gun doesn't seem to fit ).
I checked, that the name "Tordenskjold" is free for that period (1960-1961). The bigger problem was the number, because each NATO country have its own numbers range, and there were no free numbers for Denmark. So I "borrow" the number from the frigate, which must be decommisioned soon. This is not the precedent, because in "real life" HDMS Thetis and HDMS Beskytteren shared the same number (F340).

I can write more about every of the changes from the real project, but i fear I can bore You.

I suppose, that maybe professional modellers may not be very happy with what I do, because it is opposite to "strict accuracy" idea, but my intention was to try to create something different, which can include some creativity from my side. (Too much words, simply I like to design ships!)

Anyway, I will gladly receive any opinions, suggestions and advises, which, i think, will be very useful to improve the realism more!

Offline rondean

• First Sea Lord
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: 15 June 2018, 12:30:09 »
Hi
 Well done a very nice conversion of Hardy, take no notice of the experts and rivet counters, we do this for fun and to make interesting model, keep up the good work as an aside  the most famous of the type 14s starred in a 1960s  film with Norman Wisdom ( shows your age if you remember it) film called the Navy lark ( i think) or ( the Bulldog Bread )
 keep up the interesting project.

Offline NickD

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #7 on: 25 June 2018, 10:37:08 »
Hello,
I found the movie in the YouTube, thank You very much!
It is made more than 10 years before I was born, but it always a pleasure to watch a nice old movie!
I also found two more movies with the Type 14 in them: the monster movie "Gorgo" (1961) and the comedy "Further up the creek" (1958).
Also there is a nice short movie for HMS Exmouth after modernization: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j-ua5-gp_9g&index=33&list=WL&t=0s

And this is the first test of the internal lighting. It looks too bright, so maybe I need to dim it a little.

I also have a question about navigational lights. According to what I know, the engine driven ship between 50 and 100 meters length must have 2 forward white lights and one white light facing the stern.
I'm not sure is this valid to the navy vessels too, and I cannot figure how many lights have Blackwood class. Can anyone help me with such information?
Thanks in advance!

Offline hother

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #8 on: 27 June 2018, 15:16:22 »
Concerning navigation lights. I have never heard of special rules for navy ships in peacetime.

At least RDN has now special rules.

Many thanks for all your pictures ^^^

Offline NickD

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #9 on: 27 June 2018, 22:54:43 »
Thank You! That was good to know! In this case I'm thinking to represent running lights only. Here I found confirmation, that military ships follow the same rules, as the merchant ships: http://navyadministration.tpub.com/14067/css/Navigational-Lights-34.htm
Of course, things can be far more complex ( http://www.researcheratlarge.com/Ships/Drawings/ShipLights.html ) , but I think it is  too complex to be done and really excessive, especially for fictional ship.

Offline NickD

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #10 on: 14 October 2018, 19:56:45 »
Sorry for the long delay - too much work, too little free time. But now all functionality is working. You may check this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ChYGP61daFY&feature=youtu.be     
Best Regards,
Nick

Offline hother

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #11 on: 15 October 2018, 16:15:11 »
Lovely build and functions. But, is the radar antenna not turning the wrong way arround? :smiley1:

Looking very much forward to see further progress ^^^

Offline NickD

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #12 on: 15 October 2018, 20:06:05 »
Thank You!
I'm not sure about the antenna. I was unable to find AWS-1 antenna video. Is it rotate clockwise or counter clockwise? Also i'm not sure about the speed of the rotation. I guess it is about 40 RPM. So I placed a trimmer on the motor, so the rotation speed can be adjusted, if needed. I will appreciate if someone can help me with this information.
« Last Edit: 15 October 2018, 20:07:42 by NickD »

Offline hother

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #13 on: 15 October 2018, 21:34:51 »
Normally a radar antenna rotation is clock wise. Rotation speed dependents of the use of the radar. Long range radars could rotate rather slowly (Military and aviation radars), and short range radars could rotate rather fast. A multipupose radar rotates about 30 - 40 rotations a minute. :smiley1:

Offline NickD

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #14 on: 18 October 2018, 14:35:49 »
Many thanks! Changing the polarity of the motor is a matter of seconds, i will measure the rotation speed again and will adjust it, if necessary. I'm using the first broken radar for paint tests, but i will mount it for a little and i will make a new video .