Author Topic: HMS Illustrious.  (Read 363573 times)

Offline paul swainson

• Admiral
Re: HMS Illustrious.
« Reply #405 on: 24 April 2017, 17:43:23 »
Finished off the forward deck port side small  gun decks and HADC decks on the port side forward of the last  eight barrel pompom gun.  Props are now in but think I have a tight port side shaft. very tight to turn.  Could be too much grease not sure will remove and check out again.  All others seem to run freely. 

Have positioned the rudder servo and will put in the rudder shaft and check for fitting the control rods.  As for the 7 ton crane I found during my research the all the capital ships had different set ups for the crane jib.  So go two from Deans which match the ones on Lusty.  So the first one has been soldered and will file down and prime.  It fits nicely onto the crane i made from wood.  Will see what it looks like when primed and the machinery (which I still have to make) is fitted on.  If it looks the part then I will do the other side.

Drive motors have been placed on the starboard side for test fitment, Once the lower engine deck is marked up, will fit the engine cradles for all.

So lots of little jobs have been done now need to photograph the result.

Offline paul swainson

• Admiral
« Reply #406 on: 25 April 2017, 21:03:58 »
Photos as promised. The last one shows the 7 ton crane from 1st design to the last two finished build except for the jib mounts and the gearing and other items to make up the full crane

Offline Troy Tempest

• Building HMS Zulu since 1987
  • Lt-Commander
« Reply #407 on: 27 April 2017, 10:15:14 »
All coming together nicely there

Offline paul swainson

• Admiral
« Reply #408 on: 29 April 2017, 11:59:28 »
Completed the two 7 ton crane cabs, find two large gearing wheels for the base then just need to solder up the other jib and make the runners for the cables and then mount.  Finally prime and paint. Job done.

Thanks Troy, am enjoying the journey and the help when I get stuck.  Thanks Mark for the drawings, great help.

Offline paul swainson

• Admiral
« Reply #409 on: 07 May 2017, 10:24:52 »
Completed the bow search light decks.  Due to the shape of the bow I needed to use a shape forming tool to enable me to cut the best fit for each of the support legs.  Feel I did a not too bad a job, from the temp plate first made to the final finished units.

Offline paul swainson

• Admiral
« Reply #410 on: 07 May 2017, 10:45:00 »
The engine bay has now been fitted out with the new home made mounting blocks to hold the motors in place.  These can be removed with just one screw and adjustments made to fit the drive belts.

Offline paul swainson

• Admiral
« Reply #411 on: 07 May 2017, 11:00:19 »
Fitted all the outer deck support struts to add detail to each deck and also the mounting stays for all the eight antenna mast  along with the HASC support drive system to rotate the HASC units. (which will not be working on this model) Starboard side

Offline paul swainson

• Admiral
« Reply #412 on: 07 May 2017, 11:07:43 »
Port side

Offline paul swainson

• Admiral
« Reply #413 on: 10 May 2017, 12:09:42 »
Problem has now occurred when applying the top section of the hull with paint.  I found after removing the masking tape, the styrene section of the armoured plating;  the primer is not bonding to it.  Every time I tried to patch, the pulled off section more comes away only larger areas each time.  To me it looks like the styrene section is at fault.  The whole hull was primed with the same primer and no problems with any other area other than the styrene sections.  It is affecting all three paint areas above and below the water line. I am using a low tack masking tape, but for some reason the primer will not bond to it. 

Can any one point me in the correct direction as to what I have done wrong.

Offline ship's doctor

• Lt-Commander
« Reply #414 on: 10 May 2017, 12:53:49 »
Hi Paul
Really sorry to see the problems you have had with the primer!
Thoughts - sometimes styrene has a shiny coating on one side, might not take paint well? This could be helped by rubbing down with wet&dry to improve the key of the paint?
Alternatively, some of the halfords primer is formulated for plastic - might work? Could use a test piece so as not to risk the model.
Or maybe some coating left from the styrene manufacture which doesn't like paint?
Sure there is someone on the forum who has seen this and will know what to do.
Really shaping up as a great model!
James

Offline paul swainson

• Admiral
« Reply #415 on: 10 May 2017, 14:44:10 »
Hi James,
The section has been rubbed down and the primer applied last summer and has had plenty of time to show any faults with bonding.  Its only now on both side that the lack of bonding has happened.  I am going to try and dispense the spray can contents into a open bottle to try and brush paint to avoid using any masking tape and see if it bonds better, but will have to wait for a warmer few days.

Thanks for the advice.  ^^^ 

Offline rondean

• First Sea Lord
  • Admiral
« Reply #416 on: 10 May 2017, 16:25:08 »
Dear Paul
 it you are using styrene, wipe it down with some meths first (clean off any contamination ) and you must use Plastic Primer on plastic, ordinarily primers will not etch in to the surface, they are for metal.
 plastic primer contains Zylene to eat in to the surface.
 hope it helps
 Ron

Offline paul swainson

• Admiral
« Reply #417 on: 10 May 2017, 17:37:52 »
Hi Ron,
Thanks for the information.  It so happens that the match for the period top coat matches the Halford primer to paint plastic parts on cars.  So will rub down the top section of the styrene on the armoured plate section above the water line and respray with the top coat primer and see if that works.  If it does then I will rub down the area below the water line, prime with the same.  Once dry will coat with the red top coat which is also a red primer.  If all goes well will then hand paint the water line in mat black, and finally cover all the paint work in a satin lacquer. ^^^

Offline swiftdoc

• Captain
« Reply #418 on: 11 May 2017, 07:12:28 »
Hi Paul,

it really hurts to see the problems you have. Ron is right. If you follow his advice you will get it right.

For styrene I personally use acid primer from my local body shop. This primer works also for the glass fibre hull. It "melts" into the styrene.

First I sand the styrene parts with a very fine coarse, then wash off any debris with hot water and a strong detergent, rinse off with water, let it dry over night and then apply the acid primer.

Always test with a piece of scrap first (guess why I say so ???).

I am sure you will be able to repair it, but lots of sanding needed :'(

Good luck and kind regards

Arno

Offline paul swainson

• Admiral
« Reply #419 on: 11 May 2017, 17:33:49 »
Have done the first side and all went well.  Got hold of some yellow coloured frog tape, and used the other (Green) to pull off the old paint.  Cleaned the who sheet, rub down with 600 wet and dry and then cleaned off with Meth.  Now working on the other side and should be finished off on Friday.  If so will then post new photo with her in her full coat of paint ready for the satin lacquer to be applied.  This should help keep the paint safe from scratches.  ^^^