Author Topic: Monitors  (Read 20721 times)

Offline Troy Tempest

• Building HMS Zulu since 1987
  • Lt-Commander
Re: Monitors
« Reply #15 on: 22 October 2014, 12:35:37 »
...and RAS (01) Deck, sorry for the multiple posts I and trouble uploading the images
Shame that I don't have any pictures of Monitors (back to original thread) as they were a bit before my time! ;D
I have posted some of HMS Fox elsewhere on this forum to assist any builders of the HMS Bulldog kit though
« Last Edit: 22 October 2014, 12:38:35 by Troy Tempest »

Offline radio joe

• JOE
  • Admiral
« Reply #16 on: 22 October 2014, 13:11:23 »
Hi Troy
It's the complexity of Olna that makes her so appealing to me , I'm not saying I would get it right but it would be a heck of a lot of enjoyment trying and at 561 feet a 1:96 would be a tad on the large size, but Mouldeans do a 1:96 Illustrious that is even bigger, but that's just me, when it comes to building working warships BIG is beautiful, I've just finished my 1:48 envoy tug at 44"long x 9 1/2" beam and weighing in at 25 kilos she is quite a lump. ::DD

Offline Troy Tempest

• Lt-Commander
« Reply #17 on: 22 October 2014, 13:17:28 »
Well once you get to the actual planning stage (or Ron to kit development stage) if it helps i have other photos which i can gladly send you full size by PM

Offline andy

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #18 on: 22 October 2014, 13:50:03 »
On the topic of Monitors.  I would like to see a 1/96 Scale HMS Abercrobie.  As for a supply ship I do have a Rover sitting down in the basement waiting for it turn on the building table. 

Andy

Offline paul swainson

• Admiral
« Reply #19 on: 22 October 2014, 14:05:00 »
I would love to see a Model of HMS Forth the sub resupply vessel which was stationed in Malta GC from 59 to 62.

Offline radio joe

• JOE
  • Admiral
« Reply #20 on: 22 October 2014, 15:14:41 »
Well once you get to the actual planning stage (or Ron to kit development stage) if it helps i have other photos which i can gladly send you full size by PM

I will certainly remember that Troy if I ever get round to building one, I'm on my seventh build now and running out of space to keep them my yacht has already been banished to the garage, :(  so I've told SWMBO my present build a type 42 will be my last, mind you I did have my fingers crossed behind my back ::DD

Offline mikearace

• Captain
« Reply #21 on: 22 October 2014, 15:20:31 »
My M 16 Monitor POF

Offline minerva

• Captain
« Reply #22 on: 22 October 2014, 22:22:06 »
Hi Troy,
 With regard to the on deck pipe lines. Perhaps having the pipes made using 3D printing
would be the answer. I helped to produce another company's Seaslug launcher by giving them
the drawings and sizes of the original. It is now a product that is available to the modeller.
I also did the same for the Shapeways Seaslug missile and Leander enclosed bridge.
So don't let the pipework runs deter the possible launch of another RFA.

Offline Troy Tempest

• Lt-Commander
« Reply #23 on: 23 October 2014, 09:54:33 »
Hi Minerva
Thank you.  3D printing is the future
I have bought from both companies now
It would be great to have both CRBFD and STD available (the Deans CRBFD is undersized) as I am scratch building both and they are fiddly
Certainly a set of parts for the Rover Boat would drake that semi kit more appealing to a wider audience
Drawings are always key, its good news that you have access to them, keep up the good work
I must revisit Explosion as I haven't been for years, how often do you live fire?

Offline minerva

• Captain
« Reply #24 on: 23 October 2014, 13:36:47 »
Hi Troy,
 The team usually fire the 4.7" at  the 1940's event plus as required for schools and visits.
As I may have mentioned before the 4.7" from a WW2 destroyer was actually helped  in resporation
by MAN (as my brother is the MoD contacts manager) So the German's paid for the British gun to be
 restored to firing condition. Ironic.

Offline Troy Tempest

• Lt-Commander
« Reply #25 on: 25 October 2014, 18:04:45 »
Returning to Ron's request for ideas for a new model.
If I stick to the train of thought I started with by wishing for an LSL - how about a 1/96 HMS Fearless/Intrepid - or bang up to date with a 1/96 Bay Class, they would make hefty and impressive models with real presence on the water
A random selection would be 1/96 HMS Tiger/Blake/Lion
A swift bit of jiggery pokery with the contents and hull moulding means they could be produced as built or post hangar conversion for the first two
I believe at one time Deans wanted to keep clear of RN ships much younger than the 70's would Tiger or Fearless still suit?
More photos from the album to illustrate, I've added Sir Percy to support my earlier proposal

Offline colin

• Building HMS Enchantress
  • Administrator
  • Admiral
« Reply #26 on: 29 October 2014, 15:50:25 »
what about a HMS Humber in 1/96th scale...  ::DD  ;)
« Last Edit: 29 October 2014, 15:57:11 by colin »

Offline minerva

• Captain
« Reply #27 on: 30 October 2014, 13:18:03 »
The small monitors look rather basic, the problem being that the likes
 of the Roberts would be too big. As Troy suggests why not an LPD or
Tiger class in command helicopter role.
As long as you don't stray towards modern "Lego" warships (type 22, 23, 45) dreadful.

Offline radio joe

• JOE
  • Admiral
« Reply #28 on: 30 October 2014, 16:46:11 »
As long as you don't stray towards modern "Lego" warships (type 22, 23, 45) dreadful.

I'm with you there Pauline, I'm sure there are fit for purpose but as a model no thank you >:(
nice avatar by the way :)

Offline paul swainson

• Admiral
« Reply #29 on: 30 October 2014, 17:00:51 »
Have to agree with Joe on that one  ^^^  It seems that with Colin changing his photo then I put my young fresh face on others are following suit.  I think we started something Colin.

I must say the uniform is very fetching.