Author Topic: Portchester Castle so far !  (Read 24168 times)

Offline Troy Tempest

• Building HMS Zulu since 1987
  • Lt-Commander
Re: Portchester Castle so far !
« Reply #30 on: 19 October 2014, 16:45:26 »
The Probe RAS rig was fitted only to the more modern ships of the '70s e.g. Leander class onwards.
Older vessels such as HMY Brittania, Type 81 Frigates, HMS Hermes to name but three examples used what was known as a QRC or Quick release Coupling  Most other NATO vessels used NATO 'A' or 'B' depending on the ship.
The QRC needed a lot of 'mandraulic' handling and large dedicated 'spanners', it was also prone to operator error which could result in at best a small leak of spill or at worst a split hose and a spectacular fountain of FFO (Furnace Fuel Oil) - I remember HMY getting an unwanted 60 second makeover like this (without HMQ aboard)
the probe once introduced made RAS much faster and comparatively foolproof - although never completely Jack proof.
Additionally to abeam RAS, stern RAS was still practised (in theory three vessels could be refuelled simultaneously along with a VERTREP (VERTical REPlenishment - i.e. using helo) of the flight deck, although in practise we simply never had enough deck hands to go around.
here are some pics (sorry about the quality) of;
HMS Hermes about to pick up the fuel hose for a stern RAS
HMS Zulu and a QRC RAS
HMS Hermione and a Probe RAS
RFA Tarbatness being RASsed by RAF Tidepool and showing RAS hoses on deck as well as the deck fuelling cover
and finally me as a young Deck cadet about to fire the line throwing SLR for a RAS, note the stern RAS hose left permanently on deck
Enjoy!

Offline minerva

• Captain
« Reply #31 on: 19 October 2014, 19:13:46 »
Nice to see good information from the experts of the R.F.A.
All too often it is the RN types giving their views, however
you guys were the force that kept the fleet moving, eating and
fighting. Even in todays news we hear of RFA Argos leading our
 contribution in the medical emergency in west Africa.
The unsung heros, the RFA.

Offline minerva

• Captain
« Reply #32 on: 20 October 2014, 14:22:08 »
Hi,
 Regarding saluting guns and gun salutes. here in the definative answer from an Ex W.O. gunner who is now part of HMS Belfast's management team.

I have attached Chapter 11 (Procedures onboard ship)  of BR 1834 (Bit old now) Ceremonial Drill Hand Book, which you may find helpful.

As to guns, we only ever rigged 3, 2 on the side of the salute and the third on the opposite side. Dependant of how many guns to be fire, the cartridges were divided between the 2 guns with the odd round going to Gun number 1.

The third Gun on the opposite side was the misfire gun, it would have the same amount of rounds as Gun 1, just in case it misfired on the first round. 

The Salute was fired alternately between the 2 guns on the engaged side, with 5 second intervals. Misfire wait time is / was 30 minutes. Once a gun misfired it took no further part in the salute.

I hope this helps all those interested in rigging a gun salute for a ship entering harbour etc.

Offline Troy Tempest

• Lt-Commander
« Reply #33 on: 20 October 2014, 15:01:50 »
Excellent info (and saves me nearly 8 Euros too)!

Offline paul swainson

• Admiral
« Reply #34 on: 20 October 2014, 15:03:28 »
line throwing SLR for a RAS, note the stern RAS hose left permanently on deck
Enjoy!
Do they still use the SLR for this roll as it was a 7.62mm round and carried a good punch, or are they using the SA 80 Mk2?

Offline Troy Tempest

• Lt-Commander
« Reply #35 on: 20 October 2014, 15:35:54 »
I daresay they must have moved on Paul (I will try an find out for you)
As you can see it has the old wooden furniture too!
The SLR was fired with zero recycle set as only one round was required and all of the power was needed to propel the messenger line
The object at the end had a rude name (I cannot remember its official nomenclature) but was of a yellow plastic and the orange cap was soft and rubber like, this replaced the formerly lethal brass rod!
I went to a school in Western Australia who want dot erect a new aerial for the radio ham setup, myself and the Bosun went taking three buckets of messenger line and I was successful on the second attempt at getting the line clear over the top of the tall tree they were going to use to string up their Aerial.  To look good (I was in tropical whites) I kept my cap on - and looked very foolish when after the first attempt my hat fell off!
As you can see no-one is wearing ear defenders which (I am convinced) is why I am a bit hight tone 'Mutt and Jeff' in my left ear, when it went off one's ears rang for minutes afterwards and voices became distant.  I cannot imagine what noise levels in a battle must be like - let alone the damage it must cause

Offline paul swainson

• Admiral
« Reply #36 on: 20 October 2014, 17:49:53 »
Thanks for that, I can confirm that a section or platoon of 7.62mm firing off along with the LMG/GMPY was very noisy and along with other items  you need to be def to not hear it.

Offline minerva

• Captain
« Reply #37 on: 21 October 2014, 09:57:02 »
The SA80 is the weapon used for the costain gun line.
In R.N. RAS operations.

Offline paul swainson

• Admiral
« Reply #38 on: 21 October 2014, 17:46:08 »
Thanks for that Pauline, I much preferred the 7.62 caliber then the 5.56 as used now.  I found the SA80 was a poor substitute replacement for the SLR.   My weapon of choice was the Heckler & Koch G3KA4 assault rifle, and proved its self very well compared to the SA80.

Offline minerva

• Captain
« Reply #39 on: 21 October 2014, 17:59:00 »
So  ! You really are James Bond !!! (I see the likeness now in the photo !)
I've used the SMG. SLR, and GMPG plus the 9mm pistol. - a perk of being at ATURM in the old days.
These SA80's wouldn't stop much.

Offline paul swainson

• Admiral
« Reply #40 on: 21 October 2014, 18:01:10 »
Your are correct in the SA80 but not with James, he was my side kick! ^^^