Author Topic: HMS Illustrious.  (Read 364685 times)

Offline paul swainson

• Admiral
Re: HMS Illustrious.
« Reply #375 on: 31 August 2016, 13:54:58 »
Thanks for the information and the warning of hard work ahead.  I will try the wet and dry first to flatten and smooth out as much as I can then prime.  then will see how much filling is left for me to do.

Post script the new cut decks fit fine and just need to be matched up and trimmed to suit.

Offline paul swainson

• Admiral
« Reply #376 on: 08 September 2016, 15:29:28 »
Hi Colin, I have a tin of the poly filler.  Did on coat with a few runs, will do a second coat this time much lighter and see how I go from there, doing one side at a time.  Any tips before I rub down, like as this is very light filler how high a grade of wet and dry paper should I use?

Good luck with the open day and have fun.

Offline swiftdoc

• Captain
« Reply #377 on: 09 September 2016, 08:58:31 »
Hi Paul,

I begin with a 120 grade and finish with 240. Then I apply the primer and after that two coats of paint and one of clear satin varnish. Surface is perfect after that.

Happy sanding :wink1: ^^^

Regards

Arno
« Last Edit: 09 September 2016, 09:01:11 by swiftdoc »

Offline paul swainson

• Admiral
« Reply #378 on: 15 September 2016, 19:22:30 »
Well I tried using the poly filler on one side of the hull, and it did not work out too well for me.  I found it hard to get it to stick to the epoxy finish.  During the rubbing down got lots of little air holes. Most likely from the way I applied it.  So rubbed it down with 1200 grit wet and dry paper and found that it will not bind to the hull and flaked away in places.  It was very powdery and may be it is OK for small areas.  So I just rubbed  down the other side again and put a full coat of primer on to the hull after I had bonded the two side armoured plate shields that protected the engine room and boilers.  Will leave for a day and then start with a mix of P38 and fill the areas that need attention. Rub down and try another coat of primer and see how she looks and keep going till I feel she looks OK.
« Last Edit: 16 September 2016, 17:05:25 by paul swainson »

Offline paul swainson

• Admiral
« Reply #379 on: 22 September 2016, 17:15:44 »
Well first rub down done and the second coat of primer applied still more rubbing down but better then before but do not think I am going to get it totally smooth.  But will see.

Offline paul swainson

• Admiral
« Reply #380 on: 22 September 2016, 17:24:18 »
Have now cut the bow upper deck apertures to reflect the bow.  As this area is solid wood I could not continue the upper deck to go forward to this area, so they are just to show where the deck is. 

Offline paul swainson

• Admiral
« Reply #381 on: 22 September 2016, 20:05:43 »
Hi Paul,

I begin with a 120 grade and finish with 240. Then I apply the primer and after that two coats of paint and one of clear satin varnish. Surface is perfect after that.

Arno

I have 120, 240,320,400,600 and 1200 so plenty to help resolve the problem me hopes Arno.  2017 calender's are out so yours will be on its way.
Paul.

Offline swiftdoc

• Captain
« Reply #382 on: 23 September 2016, 07:13:29 »
With that variety of papers you surely will succeed, Paul. My favourite is 240 grain (fine enough that it leaves no traces of the paper itself and coarse enough to rub off some material). Thanks for your effort with the calendar. Space in my office is reserved :) :wink1:Arno

Offline paul swainson

• Admiral
« Reply #383 on: 08 October 2016, 14:07:22 »
Just a bit quiet of late doing the Scottish Poppy Appeal for my area, so once my garage is free of cans and poppy stuff will be back to the rubbing down and filling again.

Offline minerva

• Captain
« Reply #384 on: 09 October 2016, 13:11:47 »
Hi Paul,
 I'd rather be doing the poppy appeal - I've been there with the never ending rubbing down and priming of self built hulls. It seems never ending. Then all of a sudden you get there 1 Good luck with both jobs.

Offline paul swainson

• Admiral
« Reply #385 on: 11 October 2016, 19:21:12 »
Thanks Pauline, will do and I am sure the hull will not miss me for a short while.

Offline paul swainson

• Admiral
« Reply #386 on: 21 November 2016, 18:08:47 »
 ^^^ :) Poppy work done and now I can get back to my hull and some of the small items that need to be made and built. So should be posting again soon.

Offline minerva

• Captain
« Reply #387 on: 22 November 2016, 21:10:41 »
Hi Paul,
 I'm in the same situation as yourself, having just finished remembrance.
Once this weekend is over - I'm involved with the Portsmouth dockyard
Victorian festival of Christmas (I'm Mary Poppins, would you believe)
However it does give me the chance to drop in on the superb Surface warship display,
which attends the event each year.
Then next week I can get on with completing the fitting out of HMS Shearwater,
my Kingfisher class corvette.

Offline paul swainson

• Admiral
« Reply #388 on: 23 November 2016, 17:13:30 »
Just remember to keep the umbrella under control and get back to your house safe and sound and no singing  ;).

Offline paul swainson

• Admiral
« Reply #389 on: 16 December 2016, 14:35:35 »
Working on the section of the island that holds the 7 pair's of Carley floats. From the ship plans they are 8ft x 5ft.  so to scale to fit all seven to the side of the island and tether them they must not exceed 1 in in length.(2.5cm) and the tube should be around 0.15 inch.  I have not found anyone who makes that size and the one I can get are to large they are 2.85 cm in length.  So It looks like I will have to get some round polystyrene rods and bend to the shape.  Or make a wood template and then mould.  Only have to to 14 of them. so lots of wood work me thinks.