Author Topic: HMS Illustrious.  (Read 363575 times)

Offline paul swainson

• Admiral
Re: HMS Illustrious.
« Reply #435 on: 27 June 2017, 17:11:09 »
Thanks Troy,  She I am well please with the result so far.  The water line should fall into place when the last of the equipment and batteries are installed.

Offline paul swainson

• Admiral
« Reply #436 on: 28 June 2017, 15:18:39 »
I have made the rack to replace the steel bolt and fitted it to the under side of the lift.  Made adjustments to the base floor of the lift so that the rack can pass through and the base will be fixed to the lift shaft.  It will hold the drive motor underneath, with on off switches to be marked and fitted.

I am looking for a good supplier of small 12 v motors with gearing attached to reduce the speed to a nice slow movement up and down.  Anyone know of a good supplier to who I can give the specifications of my pinion and rack.

Offline paul swainson

• Admiral
« Reply #437 on: 28 June 2017, 15:30:16 »
Have completed the chain deck and kitted out this deck with the 4 x 6 lbs guns, lockers, reels anchor chains and capstan along with bollards etc. Also the first of the front searchlight platforms has been railed and light fitted, along with ladders and door.  Once the portholes have been fitted she will really look the part.  She goes on display at the local Maritime Museum on the 21/22/23 of July.  So looking forward to the comments from the people who want to see her.

Offline paul swainson

• Admiral
« Reply #438 on: 20 July 2017, 23:01:23 »
Had a lot of work to do to get her ready for this weekend show.  The quarter deck fitted out and installed.  Lift section fitted and ready for the flight deck.   Cut the rear section first and made cut outs for the rudder and the drive motors.  secured and trim.  The forward section then cut and a larger opening for the electrics and the lift.  Finally placed the mount for the island to sit on so it can be removed and refitted in the same place.  Wiring for lighting on the island run through to the under side and ready to wire up.  Final gave the island its top coat and fitted all the port hole covers.  Even had time to mount the shop boats with lowering chains from the booms.  Trial fit of all pom pom, HA fire control units and all searchlights.  She looks great.  Will take more photos at the show and a video and put it on Flickr.  Hope you like.

Offline Dennis

• Captain
« Reply #439 on: 21 July 2017, 01:42:39 »
Hey Paul she looks amazing. Can only imagine all the hours you have put in so far on this build. ^^^ ^^^

Offline colin

• Building HMS Enchantress
  • Administrator
  • Admiral
« Reply #440 on: 21 July 2017, 09:16:01 »
certainly coming along in leaps and bounds..  ^^^

Offline swiftdoc

• Captain
« Reply #441 on: 21 July 2017, 09:51:41 »
Hi Paul, she looks great :)Good luck for the show! Please post the link for the video here later ^^^

Offline paul swainson

• Admiral
« Reply #442 on: 21 July 2017, 17:27:56 »
Thanks guys, need to move the build along after being asked by my local maritime museum to bring her along with my other boats.  Will post link when done.
There is still lots of detail and fitting to be made and add to the side of the hull and the island requires more work.  Alsp the deck will need to be primed and painted.  Lots to do still.

Offline Troy Tempest

• Building HMS Zulu since 1987
  • Lt-Commander
« Reply #443 on: 24 July 2017, 11:54:00 »
She's really starting to come together now - well done

Offline paul swainson

• Admiral
« Reply #444 on: 24 July 2017, 20:22:10 »
Here is the link to the model on display at the Irvine Maritime Museum on the 22/7/2017.   

https://youtu.be/0B2siOJAhZU

Also link to photos.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/92998762@N02/albums/72157686616807116

Offline swiftdoc

• Captain
« Reply #445 on: 25 July 2017, 08:04:12 »
Thanks for sharing ^^^
Some very fine models and a nice museum :)Yours is really a huge one - very impressive!

Offline paul swainson

• Admiral
« Reply #446 on: 25 July 2017, 14:03:46 »
Thanks guys, she is really looks good now and the effort put in is rewarding to see.  The pleasure to see something from just the plan.

Offline paul swainson

• Admiral
« Reply #447 on: 24 August 2017, 17:25:41 »
Sorry for the quiet spell but been working out how best to install the carley floats to the side of the hull.  First two attempts/ideas have failed and now seem to have got the correct way on this build.  I have cut a one piece of 2mm styrene to cover the full length of the walkway around the island up to the 8 barrel pom pom aft of the island. This section of styrene also included enough depth down the side of the hull to mount the 12 carley floats the same way as I mounted the floats to the side of the island.  The section had to have cuts made to that I could reduce to the area I needed with the end sections heated to form the curves at each end of this section.  A small platform was made from 2mm ply to hold the fixing points for the bottom of the floats.  Small cuts 3mm long and 1mm wide was made in the side walk way to hold the top cables for the securing straps of each carley. Hope the photos show the idea.   

Offline minerva

• Captain
« Reply #448 on: 26 August 2017, 06:40:17 »
Hi Paul,
 What are the lamp like fittings above the guard rail on the carley raft deck ?
I can't see on the photo as it will not enlarge enough. It's certainly an epic build.
Much credit to you.
Best wishes
Pauline

Offline paul swainson

• Admiral
« Reply #449 on: 26 August 2017, 12:18:05 »
I beleive they are sets of lights connected to the flight deck for landing and take off and deck parties being aware what is happening on the flight deck.  There are sets of this light all around the side of the hull in groups of three.  See Photos