Author Topic: S Y MEDEA  (Read 4546 times)

Offline ALIMURIMETA

• Able Seaman
S Y MEDEA
« on: 30 March 2020, 14:59:09 »
Hello everyone, I present my new construction site. It is the s.y. Medea. I purchased the kit several years ago. Only today, due to the corona virus pandemic, did I find time to start building the model.
I must say that the quality of the kit did not seem excellent to me. Today you can find many kits with accessories and deckhouses made with a 3D printer. The choice of vinyl deck is also very poor. What I like most is the line and the hull of the model.
Here are some photos of the assembly stages

« Last Edit: 30 March 2020, 15:08:05 by ALIMURIMETA »

Offline ALIMURIMETA

• Able Seaman
Re: S Y MEDEA
« Reply #1 on: 02 April 2020, 08:30:22 »
Hi everyone, I started the wooden cladding of the medea cabins. I used a 0.6 mm thick sheet of obece wood. I reproduced the panels and moldings according to my scheme. I cut them with a laser plotter.
Regards and see you soon

Offline ALIMURIMETA

• Able Seaman
« Reply #2 on: 03 April 2020, 09:50:23 »
Hello everyone, yesterday I made the deck in laser-engraved and laser-cut strips

ciao ciao

Offline rondean

• First Sea Lord
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: 03 April 2020, 11:01:23 »
Hi
Latest kits are all laser cut parts and have a laser cut and etched deck for the past few years ?
 Ron

Offline ALIMURIMETA

• Able Seaman
« Reply #4 on: 03 April 2020, 11:09:54 »
Hi Ron, I bought the kit about 3 years ago. I noticed that the newly built kits come with laser cut parts. Perhaps at the time of my kit there was no such availability. However, I have noticed that different silhouettes of the deck house and deck are not drawn precisely. I hope these imperfections have been resolved with the laser cut version.
Even the photos are not very clear and there are no drawings with assembly sections and cutaways. The instructions "tell" a lot, but they do "see" little.

Ciao ciao

Offline FJF

• Lieutenant
« Reply #5 on: 03 April 2020, 15:43:05 »
Hi ALIMURIMETA,
I think that expectations towards a model ship kit vary quite a bit. Whilst one modeller would wish to get lasercut wooden decks for perfect looks others are actually happy to achieve a similar appearence of a wooden deck by simply applying a printed vinyl sheet in a fast building experience. Some may not be  so experienced to lay each wooden plank perfectly shaped on the deck especially in relatively small scale models.
Whilst other manufacturers (that mostly benefit of much cheaper labor cost) may offer such laser cut decks, and as you already seem to have re-designed the deck planking deck, here is your chance to offer your digital drawings/templates to Deans Marine in order to allow them to provide such laser cut decks in future for example as an optional part. Other model boat builders would probably like such upgrades and could benefit of your experience. How about that?

Offline ALIMURIMETA

• Able Seaman
« Reply #6 on: 07 April 2020, 10:13:01 »
Hi FjF, thank you for your observation about the kit content. I honestly think that Deans Marine can already insert a laser cut and engraved wooden deck. My design is copied from the vinyl bridge already supplied in the kit. The same goes for wood-effect vinyl paneling. I copied them from the kit, with some variations. However, I will be happy to provide the files to the technical staff of Deans Marine, as long as they are provided free of charge to new buyers. I do not like that my gift becomes a profit for those who receive it.

Greetings and good modeling time

Offline ALIMURIMETA

• Able Seaman
« Reply #7 on: 07 April 2020, 10:19:37 »
Hello everyone, here are the latest photos of the s.y. Medea.
I made the supports of the bulwark with an L-shaped micro profile.

I started the construction of the boat and the service boat.

Offline ALIMURIMETA

• Able Seaman
« Reply #8 on: 20 April 2020, 14:48:21 »
Hello everyone, here are the latest news from the Medea shipyard. I started the painting of the deckhouses and hatches with a coat of oak impregnated. Some lockers and blocks are made of polyurethane resin. I also "impregnated" these with the oak varnish. It will take several hands to get a satisfactory result. Aside, I prepared the currents of the railings with copper wire taken from a skein and straightened properly. The side rails are made of metal bench. I can't solder them to tin and therefore I have to use the toxic one (for me) with cyanoacrylate glue.

Salve a tutti, ecco le ultime novità dal cantiere Medea. Ho iniziato la fase di verniciatura delle tughe e dei boccaporti con una mano di impregnate rovere. Alcuni armadietti e blocchi sono fatti in resina poliuretanica. ho "impregato" anche questi con la vernice rovere. Ci vorrano più mani per ottenere un risultato soddisfacente. A parte ho preparato i correnti delle battagliole con del filo di rame prelevato da una matassina e raddrizzato a dovere. I candelieri delle battagliole sono realizzati in metallo banco. Non posso saldarli a stagno e quindi mi tocca usare la tossica (per me) colla cianoacrilica.

Ciao ciao.

Offline ALIMURIMETA

• Able Seaman
« Reply #9 on: 22 April 2020, 10:14:17 »
Hello everyone. Yesterday I took another small step towards completing the model. I finished assembling the main deckhouse rail. With the aid of the laser plotter, I made the obece wooden handrail. The assembly was not really simple, despite the precision of the pieces cut with the laser. As always, in the end I win.
I don't like white metal side rails, but I don't want to spend money on brass side rails.
Everything will be painted in white (beams and stanchions) and impregnated in oak color (handrail).
Here are a couple of photos of the final result.

Salve a tutti. Ieri ho fatto una altro piccolo passo verso il completamento del modello. Ho finito il montaggio della battagliola della tuga principale. Con l'ausilio del plotter laser ho realizzato il corrimano in legno obece. L'assemblaggio non è stato proprio semplice, nonostante la precisione dei pezzi tagliati con il laser. Come sempre, alla fine vinco io.
le battagliole in metallo bianco non mi piacciono proprio, però non mi va di spendere soldi per delle battagliole in ottone.
Il tutto andrà verniciato in bianco (correnti e candelieri) e impregnato color rovere (corrimano).
Ecco un paio di foto del risultato finale.

ciao ciao