Author Topic: SS Melanie II  (Read 82281 times)

Offline FJF

• Lieutenant
SS Melanie II
« on: 11 December 2010, 20:24:04 »
Hello 'Deans Marine'-Model Fans!

Quite happy with the result of building my SS Redshanks I decided to start works on my 'SS MELANIE II' tramp/three island type steamer.

For those interested to follow the progress I will share some pictures here.

I will not necessarly follow the instructions included in the kit as I would like to try out a few things again.
Useful comments and suggestions are welcome and appreciated anytime.

I hope you enjoy.

Frank

Offline FJF

• Lieutenant
Re: SS Melanie II
« Reply #1 on: 11 December 2010, 20:32:37 »
Some additional supports under deck and raw planking on deck (still to be sanded).

Offline FJF

• Lieutenant
« Reply #2 on: 11 December 2010, 20:40:01 »
And with the rudder I am defenitely trying something totally new for me.  ::)

The idea is to make it look more detailed. If it will work well (function wise) we will see.  :-[

Still some important parts are missing of course...

Offline colin

• Building HMS Enchantress
  • Administrator
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: 12 December 2010, 09:24:30 »
it look as if your enjoying your self with this build, and doing what nearly every modeler does, including my self.

using the materials that are provided, plus adding a few, to make the model look even better.

i think your doing a grand job..  ^^^ ^^^

a modeler after my own hart..  :wink1:

Offline karlgalster

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: 12 December 2010, 10:16:57 »
Superb work on the rudder skeg - is that part of the kit or something you have made yourself?
Robin

Offline FJF

• Lieutenant
« Reply #5 on: 12 December 2010, 15:05:55 »
Thank you Colin!    :-[  :smiley1:

Making a model look like the original thing is and should in my opinion be the most important goal when making a model. This is what produces the 'wow!' effect and leaves a real good impression in people's mind. And the additional effort and patience required is defenitely worth it.

As probably most of us modellers are limited in time, equipment and tools I think it is important to share ideas and tricks - enabling others to be successful too. That's why I appreciate this forum very much.  Thanks for your efforts in hosting this forum!  ^^^

Offline FJF

• Lieutenant
« Reply #6 on: 12 December 2010, 15:29:54 »
Hello Robin,

Thanks. The metal pieces are all 'hand crafted' and were not included in the kit. I got them from a local metal shop. The attachment below shows the rudder and some other parts as included in the kit.

As a novice to work with metal it took me three hours to 'cut' the rudder skeg manually and carefully from a 3mm copper plate.  I know that some modelers woud use a computer assisted milling machine for this - but since I do not have one I tried it manually.

By the way: Eventhough copper is comparatively soft it was not only the copper I brought in shape - maybe even more my muscles  :wink1: :-[

The rudder itself is made of 1.5 mm brass sheet and of course it will need some more work.

Regards,

Frank

Offline hotjava

• Lt-Commander
  • I like to build things
« Reply #7 on: 13 December 2010, 05:25:09 »
Wow.  Beautiful.  This is your second Deans model?  Holy smokes!

Thanks for sharing and welcome!
Oliver

Offline Belgium Crazy Team

• Lt-Commander
« Reply #8 on: 13 December 2010, 07:05:12 »
Well done!
On ships of that era, the rudder has most of the time re-enforcement bars welded on.
I think the rudder in the kit has them also.
But you can also add Sacrificial Anodes on rudder and the hull.

This are the type of details that finishes a model.

Kurt

Offline FJF

• Lieutenant
« Reply #9 on: 13 December 2010, 19:17:22 »
Wow.  Beautiful.  This is your second Deans model?  Holy smokes!

Thanks for sharing and welcome!
Oliver

Hi Oliver,
Thanks for the warm welcome.

Yes it is my second Deans Marine model. The SS Redshanks http://www.deansmarine.co.uk/index.php?topic=132.0) was the first.
But I made some other model boats in larger scales from other kit manufacturers before. So I am not a total novice to ship modelling. 

The level of detail of Deans kits is amazing already and with the right hints, tools, techniques and a little extra patience one can even enhance them in a way that the finnished model looks like a 1/75 or even 1/50 scale model - if looked at very closely. But as I learned from a good friend the most important prerequisite is always research (done before starting to build a model). Good plans, pictures and background information about the original ship are essential. In the case of the 'Melanie II' I was not so lucky in finding a lot of information about the original ship yet, but I will base on information about the Cordene which is not exactly the same ship but seems to come very close to it. I actually wonder if the Deans Marine hull of SS Cordene is exactly the same as for the Melanie II... ?  :wink1:

I see you did a very nice job so far on your project too! Congratulations!  ^^^

Regards,

Frank
« Last Edit: 13 December 2010, 19:19:42 by FJF »

Offline FJF

• Lieutenant
« Reply #10 on: 13 December 2010, 20:14:44 »
Well done!
On ships of that era, the rudder has most of the time re-enforcement bars welded on.
I think the rudder in the kit has them also.
But you can also add Sacrificial Anodes on rudder and the hull.

This are the type of details that finishes a model.

Kurt

Hi Kurt,

Thanks for the hints.

I know that the re-inforcement bars are the crutial parts that keep the rudder in position (I still have to make them and therefore still missing on my picures).

I found the following Pictures in Google:
http://www.shf.org.au/JO-restoration/JO-news-Dec2006.html
http://www.shf.org.au/JO-restoration/JO-news-Jan2009.html

Do you think that would come close for Melanie II?

Regards,

Frank

Offline Belgium Crazy Team

• Lt-Commander
« Reply #11 on: 14 December 2010, 06:34:57 »
The rudder come close indeed.
I've looked in some plans of ships of that era and they all have some kind of rudder re-inforcement.
They all varie in size and shapes.
Kurt

Offline FJF

• Lieutenant
« Reply #12 on: 20 February 2011, 23:11:14 »
Hello,

Here's a quick update regarding my 'rudder experiment':

The pictures show:
- my antique working methods  :-[
- the rudder put together loosely (prior to soldering and compared with the rudder as included in the kit)
- the rudder placed loosely in its place
- the changes required in the hull

Of cousre there is a lot more work ahead. I will have to 'shorten' the rudder as it is a bit to 'long' - reaching over the length of the hull.

Offline colin

• Building HMS Enchantress
  • Administrator
  • Admiral
« Reply #13 on: 21 February 2011, 08:40:46 »
now that rudder does look very nice indeed..

your antique methods, well i don't know any difference my self, the only power tool i have is a Proxon minitool which i use for drilling holes up to 3mm, everything else is done by hand...

Offline karlgalster

• Captain
« Reply #14 on: 21 February 2011, 15:45:09 »
Like Colin I am also pretty light on power tools as well but get by. Antique methods or not your results are excellent :)